[Bnc-facility-notice] Second Floor Heating Water Shutdown Next Wednesday!

Kuhn, Jeffrey G kuhn1 at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 23 07:07:57 EST 2018

All,

This is important notification of an upcoming shutdown to replace a leaking dielectric fitting on the circulating hot water loop serving the second floor west side laboratories, offices, and galley. The leak is located above the ceiling tile in the hallway outside of Lab 2283. We have taken measures to stop the leak for the short term, but they are temporary fixes and will not hold for long. We plan to make permanent repairs on Wednesday 2/28/18 beginning around 8:00 AM.

In order to repair the leak, we will have to drain the loop, replace the fitting, refill the loop, and bring it back up to temperature. This could take eight hours or perhaps more. We aren't able to accurately estimate the required time since this has not been done before. Again, only the second floor west quadrant of the building will be impacted.

During the repairs, there will be no hot water reheat available in the affected areas. This means that the supply air coming from the diffusers in the labs and offices will be a constant 55 degrees F. Offices will be cold, but the bigger concern is how this will affect process equipment in the labs. If the labs have a high ambient heat load, they may not notice much difference. However if the ambient heat load is low, the lab will almost certainly cool down. Condensation may also be a possibility.

Please review your equipment and let us know as soon as possible if you foresee any issues that would result from this shutdown. Please "reply all" to this email since I will be out of town all next week. That will ensure that your concerns are noted by the appropriate people.

Regards,

Jeff Kuhn
Facility Engineer
Birck Nanotechnology Center