[BNC-all] REMINDER: BNC Virtual Faculty Seminar Series: Speaker - Hadiseh Alaeian - TODAY, Oct. 1st @ 12noon via Zoom

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Thu Oct 1 08:40:10 EDT 2020

Reminder: BNC Virtual Faculty Seminar Series TODAY @ 12:00noon.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D697CE.783A4470]

The BNC Virtual Faculty Seminar Series is designed to provide faculty a platform to present an overview of their research and the opportunity for collaborative discussion with other BNC faculty and researchers across six colleges and 15 academic units.

Hadiseh Alaeian
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering

October 1st, 2020 | 12:00pm
Join Zoom: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/93857631004

Title: Atom-Nanophotonics at Low Dimensions

Abstract: Combining photonic structures with thermal atomic vapors on a chip provides an efficient atom-light coupling well beyond the diffraction limit on a scalable and miniaturized platform. In this seminar, I talk about some of our results on an integrated silicon photonic chip immersed in a micro-cell with rubidium vapor and discuss the effect of transient atom-light coupling on modifying the scattering properties of the photonic devices. Moreover, I present some of our recent spectroscopy measurements of a dense atomic media coupled to the tightly confined and deep sub-wavelength mode of a photonic waveguide. Our results indicate the appearance of some collective behaviors at this pseudo-1D geometry, mediated via the single waveguide mode strongly coupled to all atoms. The talk will be concluded with some of our ideas and perspectives for using this platform for cavity QED studies and devising new schemes for investigating atom-atom interactions in more sophisticated light fields.

Bio: Hadiseh Alaeian got her PhD from Stanford in 2015, studying active and non-Hermitian photonic systems, under the supervision of Jennifer Dionne and Jelena Vuckovic. After her graduation, she moved to Germany first, as a Humboldt postdoc fellow and later as a junior group leader in the group of Tilman Pfau. During that time, her research has been focused on quantum dynamics of photonic systems including their Bose-Einstein condensation, and their interaction with atoms in sub-wavelength structures. In August 2020, Hadiseh joined Purdue as an assistant professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Physics and Astronomy where she will be extending her studies to the strongly interacting photon fluids using Rydberg excitons.

Upcoming BNC Virtual Faculty Seminars, Fall 2020:

Date
Faculty
Title
9/10/20
Ali Shakouri, Director of Birck Nanotechnology Center
Overview of SMART Industry Consortium
9/17/20
Luna Lu, Professor of Civil Engineering -  *Note time change*  (10am - 11am): Co-Hosted with ECE
Nanotechnology for Energy Harvesting and Sensing Applications
9/24/20
Alex Ma, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Superconducting circuits for quantum simulation and quantum information sciences
10/01/20
Hadiseh Alaeian, Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
atom-Nanophotonics at low dimensions
10/08/20
Jianguo Mei, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry
Semiconducting Polymers: A Journey from Scientific Curiosity to Technology Commercialization
10/15/20
Chen-Lung Hung, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Engineering atom-nanophotonics hybrid lattices
10/22/20
Chi Hwan Lee, Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
Sticker-Like Flexible Sensors for Wearable Healthcare Applications
10/29/20
Ryan Wagner, Research Assistant Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering
Atomic force microscopy as a tool for multiphysics nanoscale characterization
11/5/20
Tentative: Arnab Banerjee, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy
11/12/20
Krishna Jayant, Professor of BME - *Note time change*  (10am - 11am): Co-Hosted with ECE
11/19/20

Spring 2021 Schedule:

Date

Faculty

Title

2/4/21

2/11/21

2/18/21

2/25/21

3/4/21

3/11/21

3/18/21

Reading Day

3/25/21

4/1/21

4/8/21

4/15/21

4/22/21

4/29/21

Dead Week

5/6/21

Finals Week

Thanks!

Jaime Turner
Lead Administrative Assistant to the Director | Birck Nanotechnology Center
BRK | 1205 W State Street | West Lafayette, IN 47907
o: 765-494-3509<tel:7654943509> | m: 765-491-3064<tel:7654913064> | jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[83324AA6]<https://www.purdue.edu/>