[BNC-all] Fwd: Discovery Park Update -- FW: COVID-19: Updates for Faculty and Staff

Shakouri, Ali shakouri at purdue.edu
Sun Mar 22 21:32:02 EDT 2020

Dear All,

I assume everybody has received the latest COVID-19 update from Provost/EVPRP on Sunday. They request that anyone returning from travel outside of Indiana should not return to research labs for 14 days. Following the Discovery Park message below, starting from Monday, access card is needed to enter the building all of the time.

Based on the emails from faculty in the last couple of days, I see that the responses of different groups to COVID-19 are quite varied. Some groups have asked their students to stop coming to the labs and work remotely, while others continue their research and ask physical* distancing.

As a shared facility, we are a resource for the whole campus. Please ask your students to minimize the use of the facility or adjust their schedule so that they can keep physical distance in the offices, labs or the cleanroom.

To be extra cautious, we would like to limit the access of undergraduates for 14 days. If any faculty or researcher has an UG whose work is essential and if he/she hasn’t traveled, please let me know if you require an exception.

I look forward to hear your suggestions and comments. I appreciate in advance everybody’s commitment to keep a safe community in these difficult times.

Best regards,
Ali

* I use "physical" distancing instead of “social” distancing which is more common these days. While we want everybody to be safe and keep a physical distance, we should be cognizant that many of our students are living far from their family and they need social support. We have a great community and I know many are willing to help in these unprecedented times.

Begin forwarded message: