[BNC-all] BNC E-news for November 6

Willison, Sheryl L swilliso at purdue.edu
Fri Nov 3 10:52:21 EDT 2017

[BIRCK NANOTECHNOLOGY CENTER][http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/resources/toolkit/files/logo/digital/Logo-949x222.png]

Seminars/Workshops

Cell Culture Basics - 2 Days Hands-On Training Course
November 16 & 17
Deadline for registration is Oct. 27, 2017
and
December 11 & 12
Deadline for registration is Nov. 17, 2017
Course fee: $250
Questions Dr. Tim Kwok at kwokt at purdue.edu<mailto:kwokt at purdue.edu> or 765-494-6697

Taming amorphous oxides with ion beams to optimize optical interference coatings for demanding applications
Carmen S. Menoni, Professor at Colorado State University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Friday, November 10th
11:30 am
Burton D. Morgan Center, Room 129
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=1171

Bioelectronic Devices for Personalized and Precision Medicine: From Wearable Biosensors to Medical Nanorobots
Wei Gao, Assistant Professor of Medical Engineering, California Institute of Technology
November 13
2:00 p.m.
BRK 1001
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=1129

Bagwell X
Tenth Honorary Lecture
Counter-Intuitive Physics of Ballistic Transport in State of the Art Electronic Devices
Michael Shur, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Friday, November 17 at 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Burton D. Morgan Rm 121
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=959

Building a Manufacturing Ecosystem for Flexible Hybrid Electronics: a Focus on Aerospace Opportunities
Dr. Benjamin J. Leever, Senior Materials Engineer in the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Soft Matter Materials Branch
Thursday, November 30
2:00-3:00 pm
Burton D. Morgan Center 121
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=1155

VISION TO VALUES
Imaging Analysis Workshop
Thursday, November 30th
8:30 am - 3 pm
Dean's Auditorium, Pfendler Hall
RSVP by November 21st at bindleybioscience at purdue.edu<mailto:bindleybioscience at purdue.edu>

See other Discovery Park's Events:
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/events/index.php

New Course Offering Spring 2018
ABE 495 Space Biology and Medicine

Course objective: to familiarize students with factors affecting living organisms (ranging from single cells to humans) in the spaceflight environment, including lunar and Martian surfaces.
More information contact: Prof. D. Marshall Porterfield, email: porter at purdue.edu<mailto:porter at purdue.edu>

Professor Sabre Kais would like to announce CHM 696 Syllabus - Spring 2018

Graduate Research Assistantship Opportunity:

Deposited Gate Oxides for SiC MOSFETs
A graduate research assistantship is available in the area of silicon carbide metal-oxide-semiconductor
(MOS) devices. SiC is a wide bandgap semiconductor with a high critical field, making it an exciting material for power electronic devices. SiC MOSFETs are now commercially available, but do not yet achieve their full potential. Our group is approaching this problem from several directions, including a new device geometry inspired by modern FinFETs, the adaptation of IGBTs and super-junctions for use in SiC

devices, as well as alternative gate insulator fabrication methods.  If interested send email to morisett at purdue.edu<mailto:morisett at purdue.edu>

Status of laboratories link:
http://status.iLab.agilent.com

NSAC Coffee Hour

Each Friday

3:30 pm in BRK Atrium

https://engineering.purdue.edu/NSAC/activities/coffeehour

NSAC Journal Club

October 31

4:30 PM BNC Atrium

Purdue United Way
We are 13 days to victory! I can't even believe how fast this has flown by, it seems like YESTERDAY we were at Kick-Off. Let us keep going and finish strong! We are not there yet, but I know we are all doing our best as we push to November 15th!

Online pledging is available again by visiting: www.uwlafayette.org/purdue/campaign<http://www.uwlafayette.org/purdue/campaign> then clicking on "Purdue Employees Give Now" button.  If you have any questions, Sheryl Willison is Senior Chair for the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships.

Purdue has started a new way for you to tell us if you have an issue in the building.  It is called "Fix It".  You can report any issues and the request will go to your building deputy. 'Fix it' , a web based portal used by the Purdue community to submit a notification.
https://www.purdue.edu/apps/account/cas/login?service=https%3a%2f%2fwww.purdue.edu%2ffix-it