[BNC-all] BNC e-news for the week of May 16th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri May 13 15:12:42 EDT 2016

Graduate Student Offices
Mailroom Closed
ME597 Particle Image Velocimetry to be offered Fall 2016
Road Closure
Seminar

Graduate Student Offices
We will start stripping and waxing grad offices again next week.  If you have a note on your door from custodial services, please make sure that you move everything up off the floor so they can completely clean your office floor (Computer towers, boxes, refrigerators, etc.).  Any questions, please ask Mary Jo.

Mailroom Closed
Mailroom will be closed Wednesday June 8th.  We will be closing the mailroom on June 8th to get our floors stripped and waxed. Please make sure you get any shipments to us by Tuesday, or they will have to wait until Thursday.

ME597 Particle Image Velocimetry to be offered Fall 2016

Hi all.  I'm teaching the next iteration of my PIV class next fall.  I've had good interest in it from AAE in the past so I thought I'd pass along the announcement to you guys.  In response to student suggestions, this time around I'm going to expand it to a 3 credit-hour class with a hands-on laboratory component.  The announcement is attached below.  I understand that 3 credit hours is a commitment but student comments in previous years indicated that it was already more of a commitment than the previous 1 credit-hour designation gave credit for.  Plus, with a 3 credit hour weight, it can stand along as a full class in a student's plan of study.

The thing I'm really excited with this offering is the lab component.  We'll do a couple hand-holding sort of experiments where the students are more-or-less lead through the laboratory but then move to experiments designed by the students where they're given a camera, a light source and a flow and told to do their best to measure the flow.  We'll work with standard lab flows, i.e. wind tunnels, water tunnels, pipes, but then move on to non-typical flows such as insect swarms, snow storms, glaciers, rivers, etc.  Students will finish the semester working on some experimental topic of interest to them.  Often this is related to their MS or PhD research but I've had students branch out from their research topics and do something they were curious about.  There have been more than a few journal articles generated as a result of this end of semester project.

If you're curious about this class, either sign up or contact me for more information.

Best,

Steve Wereley
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D1AD29.E462A730]
Physical Vapor Deposition Update

A user wrote in this week's survey about challenges to get reservations on the RF sputtering system.  The physical vapor deposition system area within Birck is one of the most frequently used, and of course we offer a variety of e-beam evaporators and sputtering systems.  There is also one thermal evaporator.  In addition we are getting more frequent requests for thin film deposition on flexible substrates.

An analysis of all our physical vapor deposition capabilities was recently done, looking at user needs across the Birck research groups.  As a result the BNC management team has approved the purchase of a new flexible substrate sputtering system, an upgrade of our current metals/dielectric system from 3 guns to 4, and the procurement of a completely refurbished e-beam evaporator for flexible substrates.  The orders are being placed now and we should begin to see the new equipment capabilities later this summer/fall.

Road Closure

The section of Stadium Avenue immediately west of N. Martin Jischke Drive will be closed beginning Monday (May 16) and continuing through June 10 while infrastructure work is being completed in the area. The intersection of Stadium Avenue and N. Martin Jischke Drive will remain open.

Motorists are encouraged to seek alternate routes, obey posted signs and use caution in the vicinity.

Seminar

Nanomanufacturing Preeminent Team Seminar
Greg Whiting
Palo Alto Research Center
Printed, Flexible and Transient Electronics for Distributed Systems
Wednesday, May 18th at 9:30 am in Birck 1001
For more information please visit: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/1455