[BNC-all] BNC e-news for the week of Feb 15th. - UPDATED

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Mon Feb 15 10:10:03 EST 2016

Parylene Coater

The parylene coater is down due to a vacuum pump failure.  A new pump is being expedited through purchasing and we expect it to arrive next week, at which time we will immediately install it and get the parylene system back to operation.  Please check Coral for availability next week.

Room Wizards

Our Room Wizard conference room scheduling system is off-line due to a network issue.  We reported this to ECN who told us that this problem also appears across campus with Room Wizards in other Purdue buildings.  ECN is working to repair the issue.

Survey Input

A user commented this week that the SEM areas appear at times to be dirty, and should be kept cleaner.  We will provide cleaning wipes for use in the SEM prep and analysis rooms, and this will become part of the training for new users.

Chemical Delivery

It has been brought to our attention that in some instances it has taken 2-3 day to receive materials after they have arrived at Birck. In order to improve efficiency and provide better service when ordering the following information can be included in the  "ship to address".

Please include the name of the individual user and the laboratory room # or note it will be going to the cleanroom or bio-cleanroom. This will assist in getting material to their final destination as quickly as possible.

When a chemical shipment arrives, Mary Jo will notify Ira and the researcher the chemical is supposed to be delivered to. It is ok for the researcher to pick up the chemical before Ira does as long as safety protocols are followed. In this case, it will be the responsibility of the individual researchers to notify the Birck safety officer of any concerns, update the MSDS as needed, and help Ira login the arrival of the chemical to BRK.

Best
Dimitri

Gloves use
It has been brought to our attention that we seem to be using an excess amount of acid gloves. Just a reminder for both the general labs and the cleanroom, the orange acid gloves are re-usable unless they have been used for piranha cleaning. In addition Ira marks them inside of the each week and will replace them after a number of weeks. These gloves can be rinsed, wiped dry and re-used unless damaged or show signs of deterioration. Please help to reduce the cost of facility operation. This will benefit everyone in the long run.

Wireless Receivers
For the next week we will be replacing wireless receivers within the building. Please be patient with any interruptions you may incur. Any questions or concerns please see Mary Jo Totten.