[BNC-all] BNC E-new for the week of Dec. 5th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:25:34 EST 2016

All Birck Users,

With the Christmas-New Year's holiday coming up please be aware that the University will be officially closed from Dec 23rd  through Jan 2nd .  Given this 11 day closure staff will not be available. Please make sure in advance that you stock the necessary chemicals and consumables before time. It is also highly recommended that use material prudently to ensure your research is not affected over this period.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated,

Stephen
Birck Safety Officer

iLabs Implementation

Birck Users:

We are pleased to announce that we have completed our implementation of iLab systems and our first set of instruments is prepared to go-live on Monday, December 5th.  Recall that iLab Systems is the online scheduling system that is replacing our Coral scheduler and is being deployed here at Birck and at many other research labs across Purdue.  We're looking forward to the improved user experience and intuitive interface over our current system. We have so many great tools and users that we couldn't go-live with the entire building in one day, it is too much to manage.  So, during the month of December both Coral and iLab systems will operate side by side at Birck.  To be clear, no double entry is required, some tools will continue on in Coral for another month, while others will shift entirely to iLab.

We will provide a few points of communication to help clear the confusion of which tools are located in which system.  The tools that move to iLab will be shut down in Coral, and on the shutdown message we will post information concerning the switch to iLab.  We will also post notification at the tools.

We have done our best to get all currently qualified users of the equipment transferred into the new iLab system, so your qualifications should be in place and you can seamlessly transition into the new system.  However, with so many users and tools I'm sure we have missed a few and made a few mistakes along the way, if you find you do not have access to a tool you have previously been qualified on, please contact the staff and we will get that fixed for you.  To determine if your typical workflow will be affected, please review the listing of tools below.  Additionally I have provided a link to iLab below as well as a link to a user training video.

iLab access
https://purdue.ilabsolutions.com

Training Video
https://mediaspace.itap.purdue.edu/media/iLab+End+User+Training/1_z02xk4t9

Tools moving to iLab on Monday December 5th include:
BRK Characterization Core: Cascade PMC200, Cleanroom Probe 1, Jandel Multiheight Probe, Lakeshore Probe Station, Leica Confocal System, MMR Hall Effect Station, MMR Probe, PPMS, MPMS, Olympus brk2261, Polytec Laser Vibrometer, Probe 1, Probe 2, Suss PLV50 Probe Station

BRK Electron Microscopy Core:  GATAN PIPS II, Nanomill Model 1040, SPI Sputter Coater, FEI Nova 200, Hitachi S4800, Titan 80-300 kV

BRK Etch Core:  Branson, Panasonic, Plasma Tech, STS AOE, STS ASE, STS ASE2, xef2

BRK Evaporation/Sputtering Core:  Airco, CHA, Lesker E-beam, Leybold, Nitride Sputtering, Perkin Elmer 2400, PLD, PVD 1, PVD GLAD, PVD Sputtering Magnetics, PVD Sputtering Dielectrics, Varian Ebeam, Veeco Thermal

BRK Furnace Core:  Blue M Furnace, Jipelec RTA, Nitric Oxide Anneal, Nitrogen Anneal Furnace, Pyrogenic Oxidation, RTP 610, RTP Minipulse, Tube 01, Tube 02, Tube 03, Tube 04, Tube 05, Tube 06, Tube 07, Tube 08, Tube 09

BRK Lithography Core:  Coherent Legend FS, Heidelberg, MA6, MJB3-1, MJB3-2, Nanonex NX-2000, Raith, SB6e bonder, Spinner 1, Spinner 2, Thick Film Photoresist Laminator, VB6

Thank you,
Jerry Shepard
Birck Nanotechnology Center
West Lafayette, IN 47909-2057
Phone: 765-494-3480

Unused Reservations

A user commented this week that many times researchers reserve a system in Coral but fail to use their reserved time.  This blocks others from using the equipment and can lead to higher usage rates since our machines and instruments are sitting idle more of the time.  We ask that users please be courteous to others by either using their reserved time or cancelling their reservation ahead of time when they know they will not be ready for the system.  In our multi-user facility this courtesy not only supports more research but helps to maintain our costs at the lowest rates possible.  Thank you for your consideration for your fellow users.

Fume Hood Clutter, Cleanliness, and Safety

A comment was made in the survey this week that many times our fume hoods are found to be cluttered, messy, and sometimes left with open chemical containers and/or depleted chemical bottles.  This is not only a citizenship issue but can also be a safety issue.  PLEASE be considerate to other users by cleaning up after yourself in the fume hoods, disposing properly of chemical waste and chemical containers, and replenishing chemicals when you use the last of a bottle.  We only have a finite amount of hood space for many users, so please share these facilities with courtesy and respect for your fellow researchers.