[BNC-all] BNC e-news for the week of June 29th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 26 13:13:03 EDT 2015

Lab 2037 BSL-2 Conversion
Low Temperature Chiller
Purchasing
Seminar

Lab 2037 BSL-2 Conversion
Due to changing research requirements, Lab 2037 will be permanently converted to BSL2 on July 6th.  Please make a note of it.

Low Temperature Chiller
A recent lab analysis indicates critically low oil viscosity in one of the circuits of our Carrier low temperature chiller. That chiller is used to maintain humidity set points during warm weather.

In order to prevent a catastrophic and expensive failure of the chiller's compressors, we must schedule the unit to be down for repair as soon as possible. The repairs will take approximately three (3) days to complete. During that time, we will be unable to properly control humidity in the cleanroom, biocleanroom, and laboratories. It is impossible to predict the severity of the humidity excursion since it will be largely weather dependent. The warmer and more humid the outside air, the more severe the deviation from set point will be.

We have not yet scheduled the repairs pending feedback from Birck users who will be impacted. If you have any input regarding the timing of the repairs, please let me know as soon as possible since it is vital that we get the repairs underway. I will wait for feedback (kuhn1 at purdue.edu<mailto:kuhn1 at purdue.edu>) until Monday 6/29 before scheduling repairs with the contractor. Once I know the dates of the downtime, I will communicate them to you.

Regards,

Jeff Kuhn
Facility Engineer

Purchasing
Please remember that all orders must have a completed (attached) purchasing request form. If you are ordering from more than one company there needs to be a sheet for each company. You cannot list all the products on one sheet for various vendors.

Seminar
Brian D. Gerardot
Institute of Photonics and Quantum Sciences, SUPA, Heriot-Watt University
The latest (WSe2 defects) and greatest (InGaAs quantum dots) in solid-state quantum emitters
Birck 2001 at 11:00 am on Monday, Jun 29th
For more information please visit: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/1244