[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of May 5th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri May 2 14:02:54 EDT 2014

Congratulations!
Discovery Park Marks Milestone
Preliminary Exam
Seminar
Shut Down Notice
Survey Feedback

Congratulations!
Congratulations to Alice Jou on receiving the Teaching Academy Graduate Teaching Award.
For a complete list of honorees please visit: http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/purduetoday/releases/2014/Q2/graduate-students-honored-for-teaching-excellence.html

Discovery Park Marks Milestone
An interdisciplinary research park at Purdue University has topped $1 billion in generated sponsored research, private gifts and endowments. Discovery Park was launched in 2001 with a $26 million grant from Lilly Endowment Inc. Since then, hundreds of students and faculty members have taken part in research efforts in areas ranging from energy to cancer treatment and have seeded or assisted more than 50 new companies. For the complete story, please visit: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=64970

Preliminary Exam
Adam Neal
Tuesday, May 6th at 10:00 am Birck 2001
Transport Studies of Two-Dimensional Materials for Nanoelectonics Applications
For more information please visit: https://engineering.purdue.edu/Intranet/Groups/Schools/ECE/Admin/PublicitemsforFacultyandStaff/MondayMemos/MondayMemoArchives/MondayMemoArchives2013-2014/related/Neal_Adam_final.pdf

Seminar
Alexander Popov
Monday, May 5th at 12:00 pm Birck 2001
Coherent Nonlinear Optics, Backward Waves and Negative Spatial Dispersion
For more information please visit: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/987

David R. Gaskell Memorial Lecture
Memorial Union West Faculty Lounge
Friday, May 9th at 1:00 pm
For more information please visit: https://engineering.purdue.edu/MSE/AboutUs/News/Events/david-r-gaskell-memorial-lecture2/Gaskell.jpg

Shut Down Notice
Preventive Maintenance
Shut Down Notice
May 5 - May 9

The Birck Nanotechnology Center will be undergoing a semi-annual preventive maintenance and service shutdown May 5 through May 9, 2014.  Air handling systems, exhaust systems, hazardous gas delivery, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, May 5 through 4 p.m. Friday, May 9.  The BNC staff will be performing appropriate preventive maintenance on the process equipment at this time as well.

All CLEANROOM research work will be suspended until the maintenance activities are completed and all systems are returned to normal.  No one will be allowed to enter the cleanroom during this time period.

In addition, the laboratory areas will also be affected by this systems maintenance.  As such, all LABORATORY activities that involve exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or toxic gas systems will be down beginning 7 a.m. Monday, May 5 through 4 p.m. Friday, May 9.  No chemical work will be allowed during this period.

At the same time Physical Facilities electrical department will be completing major modification to the isolation grounding system in all general laboratories.  Outlets in the laboratory with a label starting with "N" will be powered down 8 a.m. Monday, May 5 through 4 p.m. Friday, May 9.  Please move any tools requiring power from the "N" outlets to the outlets starting with "S" during the previous week.

It is anticipated that the building and most process tool maintenance will be completed by the end of the day on Friday, May 9.  Please check Coral for equipment status and availability.

For long term research planning please refer the following future dates for our future preventive maintenance shutdowns.

?  Week of October 13, 2014

?  Week of May 4, 2015

?  Week of October 12, 2015

?  Week of May 2, 2016
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these important preventive maintenance shutdowns.

BNC Management
[cid:image005.png at 01CF660F.35936B30][cid:image006.png at 01CF660F.35936B30]

Survey Feedback

A user wrote the following comments in the survey this week:  "I strongly suggest that all users try to minimize the usage of supplies such as cleanroom wipes, acetone, & IPA.  All too often I see people use several cleanroom wipes once and throw them away, which is a waste of money.  Also keep the bench clean after finishing using.  It only takes an extra five minutes."

These comments are very important in that the recharge rates we calculate for cleanroom and equipment use depend directly on all costs associated with our facility and equipment . . . this is our multi-user recharge model.  When more supplies are used/wasted then costs necessarily increase to cover the additional expense.  By reducing waste, and using only the amount of supplies necessary for good processing, we can keep costs down which benefits all users.  So please remember to use only the amount of supplies necessary to conduct processing for your samples.  Also, by reusing shoe covers, veils, and other multi-use disposables we can further reduce costs.  And keeping the hoods clean after using helps subsequent users to get their processes done safely and efficiently.

Thank you for your support of these important issues.

Ron