[BNC-all] BNC e-news for the week of July 14th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Jul 11 14:01:25 EDT 2014

Safety
Seminar
Survey Feedback

Safety

Users,

We Have had additional sharps being disposed of in the general trash.  The following are items that may only be disposed of in a sharps container (razor blades, glass slides, glass cover slips, pipette tips, syringe or any other needles and tweezers). This poses a hazard to the custodians and others that may handle general trash. Please be mindful of others. Sharps container can be obtained from Ira if needed.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Stephen Jurss
BNC Safety Office

Seminar

Mark Rudner
Associate Professor, Condensed Matter Theory at Niels Bohr International Academy in Copenhagen
Coupling of Electron Spin Dynamics and Nanomechanical Motion in Carbon Nanotubes
Wednesday, July 16th at 3:30 pm in Birck 1001

Survey Feedback

VB6 Availability

The VB6 has been heavily booked recently, and some users have been able only to get time on the machine after normal business hours.  A few suggestions to help ease this situation come to mind:  1)  Try to reserve the system at the earliest possible time within the reservation window, currently 7 days in advance.  If you can plan your VB6 needs a week into the future you have a better chance of obtaining that time slot.  2)  Consider using the Raith for your electron beam lithography processes.  The Raith is in lab 1239 and doesn't have quite the capability of the VB6, but it could be used for certain applications.  3)  For critical processing needs work with our e-beam lithography engineer, Bill Rowe, to schedule beyond the normal 7-day time horizon.  4)  Remember to cancel reservations that can't be used due to unforeseen processing problems or other issues.  This frees up the equipment for other users, and this is critical for a system like the VB6 where every time slot is needed by someone.  This is important for all the processing equipment in our facility.

Equipment Age

A survey comment related that some of the equipment is getting older.  This is certainly the case, with the Varian evaporator probably winning the prize for the oldest!  The Birck Nanotechnology Center has been very fortunate to be able to add new equipment on a regular basis over the past few years.  A few examples of newer equipment are:  Bruker Optical Profilometer, Mirwec roll-to-roll system, PVD dielectric and metals sputtering system, PVD magnetics sputtering system, Heidelberg laser writer, Jipelec RTA,  plus many others.  As always, I invite your feedback on specific needs for new equipment so that we can get them on our roadmaps and plan for them in the future.

Thanks again for your constructive suggestions.

Ron