[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of August 18th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Aug 15 15:33:27 EDT 2014

Seminar
Lunch & Learn Seminar
Optical Specifications Basics by Anna Wang, Newport Corporation
Hosted by OSA Purdue Student Chapter
Tuesday, August 26th from 12 pm to 1 pm in Birck 2001
For more information see posted flyers or contact Zun (Andy)Huang (zun at purdue.edu<mailto:zun at purdue.edu>), President, Optical Society of America Purdue Chapter.

Survey Feedback

Cleanroom Microscopes

One request we received this week involved providing a 5X objective on another cleanroom microscope to enable more 5X capability.  This is an excellent input, based upon actual use scenarios in the cleanroom.  We will work with Nikon to quote the 5X objective for the Nikon microscope on the left side in the photo bay.  Additionally we will work with ECN and our staff members to upgrade the computers so that image capture is similar on both microscope/computer systems.

FIB Manipulator Tips

A survey comment noted that there was a period of time when manipulator tips for the FIB were unavailable.  There were two issues/questions regarding this . . . (1) why didn't we order one when we installed the last one in stock, and (2) why is it taking so long to receive an order?  We have looked at the process of ordering tips, and have now changed it to trigger an order based on the average lifetime of tips.  This will allow adequate lead-time for ordering a new one to have it available here at Birck when the last one needs to be replaced.  Additionally, we ordered the tips from a company who is was not in our new purchasing system so we had a delay in getting the business transactions properly set up in our system.  We believe this to be fixed now as well.  The tip vendor has told us to expect the tip order to arrive next week.

Compliments for Staff

One survey response had very positive compliments for several engineering staff members regarding their deep skill and expertise, their willingness to help research projects, and their support for research after-hours.  The staff really appreciates this positive reinforcement as well as the suggestions for improvement.  We consider the users here at Birck our 'customers' and it is our responsibility to support and enable the wide variety of research done here at our great facility.

Thanks again for your constructive suggestions.

Ron