[BNC-all] BNC e-news for the week of Nov. 18th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Nov 15 15:55:32 EST 2013

Grant
NSAC Coffee Hour
NSAC Tip of the Week
Seminar
Travel

Grant

Dear Colleagues,

See the call below from NCI for grant applications on technology development with low and middle income countries. If you are not yet interacting with an LMI country, we have connections with several LMI countries for cancer research (among others, Lebanon, Ghana and Uruguay).

Best regards,

Sophie Lelievre
Associate director, collaborative science, Purdue University Center for Cancer Research

This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is a new initiative to support the development of cancer-relevant technologies suitable for use in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).  Specifically, the FOA solicits applications for projects to adapt, apply, and validate existing or emerging technologies into a new generation of user-friendly, low-cost devices or assays that are clinically comparable to currently used technologies for imaging, in vitro detection/diagnosis, or treatment of cancers in humans living in LMICs.
Funds will be made available through the UH2/UH3 phased innovation cooperative agreement award mechanism.  Applicants should have a working assay or prototype (not necessarily already capable of cancer applications).  The initial 2-year (or shorter) UH2 exploratory phase will be a feasibility study to demonstrate technical functionality and clinical potential for use in LMIC settings by meeting specific performance milestones.  UH2 projects that have met their milestones will be administratively considered by NCI and prioritized for transition to the UH3 validation phase.  UH3 awards will support improvements and validations of the technologies in the LMIC settings.  The project period for the UH3 phase is up to 3 years.  Projects proposed in response to this FOA will require multidisciplinary efforts to succeed and therefore all applicant teams must include expertise in engineering/assay/treatment development, oncology, global healthcare delivery, and business development.  Investigators responding to this FOA must address both UH2 and UH3 phases.

NSAC Coffee Hour

Rahim Rahimi

Birck Atrium

Friday, November 22nd at 3:30 pm

A low-cost, flexible electrochemical sensor for monitoring silver ion concentration  in alginate wound dressings

Rahim Rahimi is a PhD student in Prof. Ziaie's group. His research interests include the development of low-cost electrochemical sensors and flexible soft actuators for wound healing applications.

NSAC Tip of the Week

If users are careless and don't follow procedures and break any equipment or contaminate it, their advisor will be charged for the staff time needed to re-train the student.  We realize mistakes happen and this is part of the learning process, but repeated gross negligence will result in retraining charges

Seminar

NNSA PRISM Seminar Series
Vu Dinh
Purdue University -Department of Mathematics
Friday, November 22nd at 12:00 pm, Birck 2001
Effective sampling schemes for behavior discrimination in nonlinear ODE systems
More information can be found at http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/prism/

Travel

We are starting to see several trips that are being booked along with their reimbursements in the Concur system so we think most people have been able to attend training.  During the implementation period, we have been processing travel reimbursements with paper form 25's or through Concur, but we will need to migrate completely to Concur by November 22.  This date will coincide pretty closely with the last date that Travel will be able to accept paper form 25's.

Please contact your departmental Business Manager if you have any concerns about any training needs that might exist.  We have staff in the Business Office who are happy to assist you and provide individual training resources as you book a trip or prepare the expenditure report.

Sincerely,
Christy

Christy Haddock
Director of Financial Affairs
Office of the Vice President for Research and Discovery Park
765-494-1642
cjhaddock at purdue.edu<mailto:cjhaddock at purdue.edu>