[BNC-all] You are invited to a talk by Alex Kildishev tomorrow

Black, Nancy Lee blackn at purdue.edu
Tue Apr 24 12:44:52 EDT 2012

*Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 1:30PM, BRK 2001*: "The Art of Taming Light at the

Nanoscale," Alex Kildishev, Purdue University. *NOTE*: /Dr. Kildishev is a

prospective ECE Research Associate Professor candidate./

*Abstract*: This talk will review some of my recent studies, which are focused

on the following topics:

   1. optical metamaterials and plasmonic nanoantennas for imaging and sensing

      systems

      ? developing fast meshless solvers for modeling periodic metamaterials and

      metasurfaces;

      ? pulse shaping with metamaterials/metasurfaces;

      ? bi-anisotropic homogenization of optical metamaterials;

   2. transformation optics concepts and applications:

      ? designing non-imaging gradient-index optics;

      ? designing and validating planar nanoplasmonic elements of diffractive

      optics;

   3. time-domain multiphysics modeling of the periodic and random nanostructures:

      ? accurate modeling of dispersive plasmonic materials;

      ? experiment-fit modeling of stimulated emission in organic dyes.

I will also cover my efforts directed towards making the modeling and

optimization tools freely available to a larger research community through

nanoHUB.org.

*HOST: *Prof. Andrew Weiner (amw at purdue.edu<mailto:amw at purdue.edu> <mailto:amw at purdue.edu><mailto:amw at purdue.edu>; 45574)