[BNC-all] Discarding Photoresist

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:41:50 EDT 2008

The BNC Engineering Staff does a periodic review of materials in the
cleanroom and laboratories, discarding materials that are no longer in
use.  This is necessary to keep the inventory levels of materials within
fire code requirements, to provide adequate storage space for active
materials, and to rid the facility of materials belonging to students
who have graduated.

In completing this procedure this month we made a very bad mistake.  The
e-mail that went out to the cleanroom users did not reach all of the
users due to a computer glitch.  It did reach some users, and
unfortunately when we checked to see if it went out, the users who were
contacted were ones that HAD received the message - an unfortunate
coincidence.  As a consequence, not everyone was informed of what was to
occur and what steps they should take to indicate that their material
should be saved.  This resulted in discarding photoresist that should
not have been discarded.

As a staff, we are very sorry that this happened.  It was a mistake on
our part to use only one method of communication.  All of us wish that
we could somehow reverse this incident, but the photoresist is gone.
All we can do now is to apologize, and to put in place steps to ensure
that this does not happen again.

In the future, communications of this sort will be four-fold.  First, we
will send out a BNC-Cleanroom e-mail.  Second, we will post the
information in the Monday Memo.  Third, we will put the information on
the BNC News portion of the Web.  Finally, we will post paper signs on
the cleanroom entrance and on the doors to the photoresist fume-hood
cabinets.

We apologize for this incident, and for the problems it has caused.
This was an error on our part, and we have put in place procedures to
prevent its recurrence.  That does not help those who lost their
photoresist, that is something we cannot reverse.  For that, we are
truly sorry.

Please accept our apology and be assured that we will do our best to
prevent this type of incident from occurring in the future.

Sincerely,

John Weaver

Facility Manager