[BNC-all] MONDAY MEMO: June 18, 2007

Deborah Starewich dstarewi at exchange.purdue.edu
Mon Jun 18 08:55:56 EDT 2007

MONDAY MEMO, June 18, 2007

****************
1. Announcements
****************

1.1:  HuntAir PM Schedule, per Mark Voorhis:  Since the northwest quadrant
of the cleanroom will be down next week,  we plan to start PM activities on
the Hunt air handlers for the cleanroom.

We anticipate ~1 hour of down time for each AHU.  From our past history you
will loose laminar air flow and the some temperature and humidity control (±
1.0šF) (± 5.0%RH).  Only one air handler will be down at a time.  PM work
should start ~8:00 AM and be completed by 4:00 PM for each day.

If you have concern or issues please call Mark Voohis (43036) or Jeff Kuhn
(68329).

  Tuesday June 19, 2007
  Huntair #   Cleanroom Area Effected
  12a   "P"
  12b   "P"
  11a   West Main Hall
  13a   "R"
  13b   "R"

  Wednesday June 20,2007
  Huntair #   Cleanroom Area Effected
  14b   "S"
  14a   "S"
  15b   Gowning
  15a   Gowning
  16   "D"

  Thursday June 21,2007
  Huntair #   Cleanroom Area Effected
  17   "E"
  18b   BIO
  18a   BIO
  18c   BIO
  11c   Main Hall East

  Friday June 22,2007
  Huntair #   Cleanroom Area Effected
  24   "F"
  26   "G"
  25   "H"
  23   "J"
  11b   Main Hall Center

  Tuesday June 26,2007
  Huntair #   Cleanroom Area Effected
  22   "K"
  21   "L"
  20a   "M"
  20b   "M"

  Completed
  Huntair #   Cleanroom Area Effected
  19a   "N"
  19b   "N"
  19c   "N"

1.2:  State Fair Volunteer Request:  Purdue Day at the Indiana State Fair is
on August 15th, 2007 and your help us needed!  Volunteers are needed to help
staff the Discovery Park booth and engage the audience about all the
exciting things happening here. We will have premiums to hand out, a
stimulating display to talk about, and many opportunities for to be shared
about the exciting programs and research at Discovery Park. The format will
be similar to last year; we will need to staff our booth from 9am-7pm.  The
day will be divided into 3 shifts.  More information regarding the schedule
and transportation will be available in July.

If you think you¹d like to participate, please mark your calendar for July
17th when the DP Engagement staff will hold a general information session
from 10am-11am in MRGN 121. Another session will be held for training and
more detailed information on August 9th from 10am-11am in MRGN 121.

Please contact Valerie Lawless, Operations Manager, DP Engagement,
(lawlessv at purdue.edu) if you would like to volunteer!

********************
2. Seminars
********************
2.1: Monday, June 18, 2007, 4:00pm: ³Addressing of Self-Assembled
Nanoarrays,² by Prof. John E. Savage, Brown University, LWSN 3102A/B
(Department of Computer Science Colloquium)

ABSTRACT:  Nanowire-based crossbars are proposed for use as memories and
PLAs.  The challenge they present is to design decoders that control many
small nanowires (NWs) with a small number of large mesoscale wires (MWs).
All proposed NW decoders are assembled stochastically.  For example, in a
randomized-contact decoder (RCD) field-effect transistors are randomly
created at about half of the NW/MW junctions.

In this talk, we describe our work to bind the number of MWs required to
produce a correctly functioning NW decoders with high probability.  We
compare four methods of realizing NW decoders with emphasis on the RCD. We
analyze the overhead associated with controlling a stochastically assembled
decoder, namely, the information regarding which MWs control which NWs.
This overhead requires more area than the MWs themselves. Finally we present
several simple testing algorithms for configuring this control circuitry.

This work was done jointly with Eric Rachlin.

Deborah S. Starewich
Administrative Assistant to Timothy D. Sands, Director

765-494-3509
dstarewi at ecn.purdue.edu

http://www.nano.purdue.edu/