[BNC-all] MONDAY MEMO

Deborah Starewich dstarewi at exchange.purdue.edu
Mon Jun 11 08:18:42 EDT 2007

MONDAY MEMO, June 11, 2007

****************
1. Announcements
****************

1.1: Shut down of West Lab Wing for PM:  We are planning to complete a
needed six-month preventative maintenance of the west lab wing chemical
exhaust and air makeup systems for ~3.5 hours, if not issues arise.

The shut down of the west lab wing chemical exhaust and makeup air units are
scheduled for June 12 starting at 5:30AM, to be completed by 9:00AM.
Shutting these systems down will increase the temperature in all the west
labs.  Therefore, temperature sensitive equipment will need to be idled.

Since west lab wing chemical exhaust system will be down, all chemicals will
need to be removed from the fume hoods by 4:00PM on June 11.  All process
tools using chemical exhaust will be shut down during the PM time as well.

Please contact MARK VOORHIS should you have any questions or concerns
(43036; mvoorhis at purdue.edu).

1.2:  HCI spill repair

We are in the final stages of repairing the damage from an HCl spill from
last year.  We have to shut down all electrical power for process equipment
in cleanroom areas PP, P, PR, R, RS, S, SA, A for 4 days.

Chemicals and processes will have to be removed or secured prior to the shut
down.

This is scheduled for June 18 @ 8:00 A.M. till June 21 @ 4:00 P.M.  All
processes in these areas will be shut down during this time.

********************
2. Seminars
********************

2.1: Tuesday, June 12, 2007, 3:00pm: “Some Remarks to Electrodynamics of
Materials with Negative Refraction,” by Dr. Victor Georievich Veselago, BRK
1001

ABSTRACT:  The negative refraction coefficient n < 0 can be introduced for
isotropic materials with anti-parallel directions of phase and group
velocities.  If some of material can be described by negative n it will have
also negative values of both (electrical e and magnetic m) permeabilities.
In materials with negative refraction coefficient, the realization of many
physical laws is unusual.  For example, in the case n < 0, the refracted
beam in Snellius law is situated symmetrically with one for the case of
positive n.  Some other examples will be discussed among which is the very
interesting flat lens, which can be used in so called “optical tweezers.”
The discovery of negative refraction materials poses a very important
question — to what extent are all the laws and formulas of electrodynamics,
optics and related technical sciences valid, when n is negative? Can we
always simply change the sign n ® - n as, for example, in Snellius law?
Generally speaking, the answer to this question is negative. Many laws and
equations of electrodynamics and optics correspond to the case of
non-magnetic materials with permeability m = 1. This non-magnetic approach
leads to many formulas that drastically change for the case m¹ 1, especially
for m < 0. For example, if one substitutes negative n into Fresnel
equations, the results will be wrong.  A special table, which outlines the
situation, will be given in the talk.  In the talk, some examples of
negative refraction materials will be discussed and their properties and
possible applications. The negative refraction phenomena can be observed not
only in materials with negative value of n, e and m, but in many substances,
which cannot be described by these values.  So, this sort of refraction
presents in anysotropic crystals.  These materials are described by tensor,
not scalar values of n, e and m. The other, very important example of
negative-refraction materials are called photonic crystals.  The main
difference between photonic crystals and materials with negative n, e and m,
is the relation between wavelength l and lattice constant a in materials
with negative refraction coefficient l > a, but in photonic crystals a ³ l.
So, materials with negative refraction coefficient can be described on the
base of harmonic oscillation equation, but photonic crystals — on the base
of Blokh, or Mattiew equations.  The phenomenology of this two sort of
materials is in many cases similar, but physics background is different.
This talk will include a discussion of the problem of estimation of pressure
of light in LHM materials.

BIO:  Victor Georgievich Veselago graduated from Moscow University in 1952,
and was with P.N. Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow, from 1952 to 1983.
>From 1983 up to now, he is the head of laboratory of magnetic materials in
A.M. Prokhorov Institute of General Physics.  He received his PhD degree in
1959, for radiospectropy investigation of molecular spectra, and degree
Doctor of Science (solid state physics) in 1974 for investigation of solid
state in high magnetic fields, both in P.N. Lebedev Institute. From 1980
until now, is a professor of Applied physics in Moscow Institute of Physics
and Technology.  The area of scientific interest of V.G. Veselago is
magnetism, solid-state physics, electro-dynamics.  In his papers, published
in 1966-1972 was at the first time considered electrodynamics of material
with negative value of refraction index (so called Left-Handed Materials,
LHM).  V.G. Veselago is a winner of State Prize for science of USSR (1976),
and a winner of academician V.A. Fock prize  (2004).  He is also an Honored
Scientist of Russian Federation (2002).  He is an active expert in Russian
Foundation for Fundamental Research, Russian Foundation for Humanitarian
Research, and is vice-chairman of physics section of Supreme Attestation
Committee of Russia (VAK).  He is a founder and vice-editor of the
electronic, scientific journal “Investigated in Russia”
http://zhurnal.ape.relarn.ru.  He is married and has three daughters and one
son.  His favorite animal is lady-cat, Fifa.  His hobby is of railways
(real, not models).

********************
3. Funding Opportunities
********************

“Nanotechnology Research Grants Investigating Fate, Transport,
Transformation, and Exposure of Engineered Nanomaterials:  A Joint Research
Solicitation,” on behalf of Christine King

Below is the URL for a Request for Proposals that may be of interest to you.
Contact Christine King for assistance in responding to this RFP.
“Nanotechnology Research Grants Investigating Fate, Transport,
Transformation, and Exposure of Engineered Nanomaterials: A Joint Research
Solicitation”:  <http://es.epa.gov/ncer/rfa/2007/2007_star_nanotech.html
<http://es.epa.gov/ncer/rfa/2007/2007_star_nanotech.html> >

Synopsis of Program:  The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office
of Research and Development (ORD) as part of its Science to Achieve Results
(STAR) program; the National Science Foundation (NSF); and the U.S.
Department of Energy (DOE), Office of Science are seeking proposals for
research dealing with the potential implications of nanotechnology and
engineered nanomaterials on human health and the environment.  In an effort
to stimulate international research in the area of engineered nanomaterials,
U.S. researchers are encouraged to collaborate with European researchers.
Research areas include:  the fate, transport and transformation of
nanomaterials; and bioavailability and exposure of humans and other species
to nanomaterials.

**************************************
4.  Birck Living
**************************************

4.1:  Restrooms, everyone needs ‘em

There have been concerns expressed from students, faculty, staff, and
janitorial services regarding the condition of the restrooms.  The
janitorial staff is working hard to try to keep them in a neat, clean,
sanitary condition, but the cooperation of all the residents of the building
is needed.  Please flush the toilets and urinals.  If you splash water on
the counters — this should be an exception since the sinks are very deep —
please wipe it up with a paper towel.  Finally, please don’t leave trash on
the restroom floors and counters.  The bottom line:  please show
consideration for your fellow Birck residents by leaving the restrooms in AT
LEAST as good of condition as when you entered.

4.2:  “Serving the Birck Community,” by Ira Young

To better serve the entire community of Birck.  Please observe the following
schedule for supplies.

LAB AND CLEANROOM SUPPLIES
Supplies will be delivered on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
1. Please send me an e-mail for the supplies you will need at
icyoung at purdue.edu or through the BNC-engstaff at ecn.purdue.edu.  Please
include Lab Room Number, do not give me a Lab Name this will only slow up
the delivery.
2. The cleanroom will be stocked beginning at 9:00 A.M.
3. The Labs will be stocked beginning at 1:00 P.M.
4. Please get your request in as early as possible for delivery.
5. E-mails, received after 8:30 A.M. for cleanroom and 12:30 P.M. for Labs
will be delivered on the next delivery day.

SUPPLIES REQUIRING ACCOUNT NUMBER
1. E-mails requesting non-standard supplies (items not covered by the BNC
User Fees) must include an account number.  I will notify you if materials
cannot be delivered without a BRK account number.
2. We will setup a time agreeable to both of us to come and get the
requested materials.

RECEIVING CHEMICAL ORDERS
1. I will receive the material.
2. I will put a copy of the receipt in your mailbox.
3. I will e-mail you advising that the chemical has arrived and ask where
you would like it placed (please use lab number not lab name).
4. Upon receipt of returned e-mail I will check for an MSDS.  If I cannot
find an MSDS I will request one from you.
5. I will deliver the material where requested.
6. I will send you an e-mail advising that the chemical has been delivered.

Thank you, for observing the above schedules.  We hope that this will help
maintain rapid distribution of chemical supplies while standardizing
chemical deliveries throughout the facility.