Press On Our Research
Boffins have made optical transistors that can reach 4 TERAHERTZ, TheRegister.co.uk, August 7, 2015
'Plasmonic' material could bring ultrafast all-optical communications
Plasmonic ceramic materials key to advances in nanophotonics for extreme operational conditions
- Purdue News, March 19, 2015
- NanoWerk.com, March 19, 2015
- Phys.org, March 19, 2015
- WorldNews.com, March 19, 2015
- ScienceWeek.cz, March 20, 2015
- Opli.net, March 20, 2015
Enabling Nanophotonics, Data Storage and Energy Conversion with New Plasmonic Materials, photonics.com, February 4, 2015
'Single-photon emission enhancement' seen as step toward quantum technologies
Diamond Defects Enhance Single-Photon Emission, photonics.com, January 14, 2015
Nanodiamonds are quantum’s best friend, SemiEngineering.com, January 20, 2015
Startup is using plasmonics to advance optical technologies, improve data-storage capabilities, solar thermophotovoltaic cell performance, Purdue Research Park News, October 2, 2014. The story was picked up by ScientificComputing.com in an article Plasmonics Advances Optics, Improves Data-storage, Solar Cell Performance
Advance brings 'hyperbolic metamaterials' closer to reality
- Purdue News, May 12, 2014
- Imperial Valley News, May 12, 2014
- World News, May 12, 2014
- R&D magazine, May 12, 2014
- BioPortfolio, May 12, 2014
- Nanowerk news, May 14, 2014
- Science Daily, May 14, 2014
- Physics News, May 14, 2014
- Science Newsline, May 14, 2014
New 'metamaterial' practical for optical advances, Science Daily, May 12, 2014
Hyperbolic Metamaterials Advance Practical Applications, PHOTONICS.com, May 14, 2014
A platform for practical plasmonics, SPIE Newsroom, May 6, 2014.
High-temperature plasmonics eyed for solar, computer innovation.
- Purdue News, April 17, 2014
- World News, April 17, 2014
- Nanotechnology Now, April 17, 2014
- eWallStreeter, April 17, 2014
- R&D magazine, April 18, 2014
- Tech Investor News, April 18, 2014
- BioPortfolio, April 18, 2014
- PhysOrg, April 21, 2014
- Laser Focus World, April 21, 2014
- Purdue News, November 15, 2013.
- National Science Foundation News, November 15, 2013.
- OSA News, November 19, 2013.
- ScienceDaily.com, November 15, 2013.
- USA News, November 17, 2013.
- IndianFrontliners.com, November 17, 2013.
- ImperialValleyNews.com, November 15, 2013.
- opli.net, November 15, 2013.
Nanoantennas increase integration in computer chips, SiliconSemiconductor.net, November 17, 2013.
Alternative materials could bring 'plasmonic' technologies, Purdue News, August 5, 2013.
This Sheet Of Material Might Make Supercomputers Obsolete And Could Even Turn You Invisible, Business Insider, 22 July 2013.
Ever Wondered How Much Junk The Average Person Has On Their Computer?, Business Insider, 21 July 2013.
A Bright Future for Planar Metamaterials, by P. Daukantas, Optics &and Photonics News, June 2913, p.10.
'Metasurfaces' to usher in new optical technologies
- Purdue News, March 14, 2013.
- Phys.org, March 14, 2013.
- ScienceDaily.com, March 14, 2013.
- Bio-Medicine.org, March 14, 2013.
- RDmag.com, March 15, 2013.
Les dessous de la cape d'invisibilité , La Recherche, February 2012.
- New 'metamaterial' practical for optical advances, phys.org, May 15, 2012.
- Researchers Develop New Metamaterial Using Aluminum-Doped Zinc Oxide, AzoNano.com, May 17, 2012.
- Gold- and silver-free metamaterial shows negative refraction in the near-IR, LaserFocusWorld.com, May 14, 2012.
- Purdue Marks Scientific Advances, InsideIndianaBusiness.com, May 14, 2012.
- 'Nanoantennas' Show Promise in Optical Innovations, ScienceDaily.com, December 26, 2011
- 'Plasmonic nanoantennas' show promise in optical innovations, Phys.org, December 22, 2011
- Researchers Modify Properties of Light Using Plasmonic Nanoantenna Arrays, azonano.com, December 23, 2011
- 'Nanoantennas' show promise in optical innovations, Purdue University News Service, December 22, 2011
- Purdue 'Nanoantennas' Show Promise for Optical Innovations, NanoScienceWorks.org, 28 Dec 2011
- ‘Plasmonic Nanoantennas’ Promising for Optics, Photonics.com, January 3, 2012
- The wealth of Russian science (in Russian), Science & Technology in Russia, February 8, 2011.
- University's stable of distinguished scientists runs deep, Journal & Courier Online, West Lafayette, Indiana, November 30, 2010.
- Strides in Materials, but No Invisibility Cloak, The New York Times, November 30, 2010.
- New findings promising for 'transformation optics', cloaking, Purdue News Service, August 4, 2010;
- 'Transformation Optics' May Yield Invisbility, science-n-technology-updates.blogspot.com, August 2010.
- Light-amplifying resin boosts invisibility cloaks, New Scientist, August 5, 2010.
- Fluorescent dye boosts metamaterial performance, Physics World, August 5, 2010.
- New Metamaterials for Optical Applications, The A to Z of Nanotechnology, August 5, 2010.
- Invisibility Cloak Advance: New Findings Promissing for "Transformation Optics", Science Daily, August 5, 2010.
- Invisibility cloak possible thanks to metamaterial, Nano Magazine, August 2010.
Media response to our paper "Experimental observation of the trapped rainbow"
. The paper initiated
a lively discussion on the Web with hundreds of postings. It can be followed by googling
"rainbow trapped for the first time". Some of the postings are cited below:
- Scientists managed to trap a rainbow (in Russian), izvestia.ru, 19 January 2010.
- A rainbow has been trapped (in Russian), kp.ru, 19 January 2010.
- Rainbow trapped for the first time, WordPress.com, 1 December 2009.
- Tapering Waveguide Captures a Rainbow, ScienceStage.com, 28 November 2009.
- Rainbow Trapped for First Time, Using Convex Lens ..., tech-news-daily.info, 27 November 2009.
- Rainbow trapped for the first time, NewScientist.com, 26 November 2009.
New Scientist qualified the "trapped rainbow" report as one of the "Top 10 physics stories of 2009"
- La luz de un arco iris atrapada en el aire entre dos películas de oro nanométricas, FrancisTheMuleNews.WordPress.com,
25 November 2009.
Media response to our collaborative (with Norfolk State and Cornell Universities) demonstration of spaser-based nanolaser:
- Nanolasers Sneak Past Diffraction Limits, by Yvonne Carts-Powell, Optics and Photonics News, October 2009.
- Birth of the nanolaser, Nature Photonics, October 2009.
- The Spaser Nanolaser, IEEE Spectrum, October 2009.
- Demonstration of a spaser-based nanolaser, NanoTechBIZZ.com, 16 August 2009.
- Nanolaser Key To Future Optical Computers and Technologies, RedOrbit.com, 17 August 2009.
- Nanolaser key to future optical computers, RDMag.com, 17 August 2009.
- New nanolaser key to future optical computers and technologies, Purdue News, 17 August 2009.
- New Spaser-Based Nanolaser for Future Optical Technologies, technology.am, 17 August 2009.
- The Smallest Laser Ever Made, TechnologyReview.com, 17 August 2009.
- World's tiniest laser paves way for optical computing, TGDaily.com, 17 August 2009.
- World's Smallest Laser, The Spaser, Unveiled, MedGadget.com, 17 August 2009.
- World Smallest Laser : 44 Nanometer Diameter Spaser, NextBigFuture.com, 16 August 2009.
- Spaser development enables laser/chip integration, EETimes.com, 17 August 2009.
- New nanolaser produced, The Hindu, 17 August 2009.
- Wicked tiny laser could radically alter computers, sensors, imaging, NetworkWorld.com, 17 August 2009.
- 'Spaser' Nanolaser Realized, photonics.com, 17 August 2009.
- 'Spaser' team's work could enable smallest-ever laser, SPIE News, 17 August 2009.
- Researchers herald optical-computing breakthrough, PCPro.co.uk, 18 August 2009.
- World's smallest laser unveiled, Nature News, 18 August 2009.
- Tiniest Nanolaser Key to Future Optical Computers , ScientificComputing.com, 18 August 2009.
- Cornell quantum dots make world's tiniest nanolaser, LaserFocusWorld.com, 18 August 2009.
- World’s Smallest Laser Announced, MedTechInsider.com, 18 August 2009.
- Thinnest nanolaser promises super computers, GizmoWatch.com, 18 August 2009.
- The Smallest Laser Ever Made, NILT Nano Newsletter, August 2009.
- Tiniest Laser Developed -- Confirming Spaser Concept , 2physics.com, August 22, 2009.
- Scientists build the smallest laser ever using a hybrid nanoparticle, Nature, 460, 1056, 27 August 2009.
Media response to our work on broadband optical cloaking:
- Large Broadband Invisibility Cloak for Visible Light, 2physics, June 6, 2009.
- Cloaking Made Simpler, but Invisible Humans Not Yet a Reality, Scientific American, May 28, 2009.
- Cloak Has Tapered Waveguide, photonics.com, May 20, 2009.
- Invisibility Just got Easier with Tapered Waveguide Technology, azom.com (A to Z of Materials), May 21, 2009.
- Tapered waveguide makes invisibility cloaks more realistic and simple, gizmowatch.com, May 21, 2009.
- New 'Broadband' Cloaking Technology Is Easy To Manufacture, redorbit.com, May 21, 2009.
- New type of invisibility device casts a wider cloak, rdmag.com, May 21, 2009.
- Bigger, better invisibility cloak appears, techradar.com, May 21, 2009.
- Simpler Optical Invisibility Developed, nextbigfuture.com, May 21, 2009.
- Scientists unveil simpler-to-manufacture 'broadband' cloaking technology :
- news.yahoo.com, May 21, 2009.
- dailyindia.com, May 21, 2009.
- bignewsnetwork.com, May 21, 2009.
- China National News, May 21, 2009.
- Malasia Sun, May 21, 2009.
- New 'broadband' cloaking technology simple to manufacture:
- nanotech-now.com, May 20, 2009.
- physorg.com, May 20, 2009.
- insciences.org, May 20, 2009.
- nanovip.com, May 21, 2009.
- sciencedaily.com, May 21, 2009.
- sciencecentric.com , May 21, 2009.
- supercomputingonline.com, May 20, 2009.
- Physics News, May 21, 2009.
- Purdue News, May 21, 2009.
- Simplified Cloaking Tech Can Cloak Bigger Objects, insidetech.com, May 21, 2009.
- Experts Create New Class of Cloaking Devices, Softpedia, May 21, 2009.
- Scientists Simplify Cloaking Tech, Can Cloak Bigger Objects, Daily Tech, May 21, 2009.
- Invisibility cloaks spread out, EE Times, May 22, 2009.
- ‘Star Trek’ Style Invisibility Cloaking A Step Closer, x-journals.com, May 22, 2009.
- Invisibility cup, Nature Photonics, April 2007.
- Engineers create 'optical cloaking' design for invisibility, Nanotechnology Now, April 2, 2007; see also:
- It's Cloaking But Not As We Know It, gadgetspy.co.uk, April 3, 2007.
- 'Optical Cloaking' Design Created for Invisibility, photonics.com, April 3, 2007.
- Engineers Bring 'Invisibility' One Step Closer to Reality, redorbit.com, April 2, 2007; Digg/news
- Technology research: Cloaking device could render objects invisible, tgdaily.com, April 2, 2007.
- Purdue research reveals scientific keys to possible invisibility, optical cloaks, purdueexponent.org, April 3, 2007.
- Nanotechnology bringing Potter's invisibility cloak closer to reality, Yahoo! News, April 3, 2007; see also:
- Nanotechnology optical cloaking design for invisibility, Nanowerk, April 2, 2007.
- Theoretical cloaking device is created, United Press International, April 3, 2007; see also:
- Boffins show off invisibility cloaking research, pcauthority.com.au, April 4, 2007.
- Harry Potter and science mix, news.com.au, April 7, 2007.
- Invisibility Cloak Step Closer To Reality, newswire.co.nz, April 6, 2007.
- Nanotech researchers report advances, EE Times, April 6, 2007.
- Another Star Trek 'invention' from Purdue, Network World, April 5, 2007.
- Optical cloaking… we’re almost there (sort of), Mysterious Unverse, April 2007.
- Theoretical design bends light around object - One step toward creating
an "optical cloaking" device, What's Next In Science & Technology, April 3, 2007.
- Scientists From Purdue University Developed Cloaking Device, HT Lounge, April 3, 2007.
- Invisibility is now one step closer, InfoNIAC, April 2, 2007.
- Optical technology could render cars, aircraft or your mother-in-law invisible, Network World, April 3, 2007.
- Harry Potter's invisibility cloak is in our grasp: scientists, thewest.com.au, April 6, 2007.
- Scientists spot invisibility cloak on horizon, Daily News & Analysis, April 7, 2007.
- A real invisibility cloak in the offing, The Hindu Business Line, April 7, 2007.
- How to Make an Object Invisible, Technology Review, April 11, 2007.
- Discovery of invisibility (in Russian), Washington ProFile, April 12, 2007.
- Yet another Russian Scientist has found a way to render
objects invisible (in Russian), newsru.com, April 12, 2007.
- A technology of optical invisibility has been developed (in Russian), Daily Digital Digest, April 12, 2007.
- Potter's magic wearing thin, The Daily Telegraph, April 17, 2007.
- Scientists close to Potter-style 'invisibility cloak', ABC News, April 6, 2007.
- "Optical Cloaking" For Invisibility, Iran Daily, April 5, 2007.
- Cloaking device makes colour red invisible, Discovery Channel, April 4, 2007.
- Clock ticking away for 'cloak of invisibility', The Hindu, April 29, 2007.
- Scientists created "invisibility hat" (in Russian), Moskovskij Komsomolets, April 24, 2007.
- Scientists are seeking ultimate vanishing act, The Star-Ledger, May 15, 2007.
- Light Fantastic: Flirting With Invisibility, The New York Times, June 12, 2007.
- Physicists thought up an "invisibility hat" (in Russian), Echo of the planet, No. 18-19, May 2007.
- Nano-Materialien sollen unsichtbar machen, GEO Magazin, No. 6, 2007.
- Their Deepest, Darkest Discovery, Washington Post, February 20, 2008.
- Harry Potter invisibility cloak a step closer to reality, The Telegraph, Oct 16, 2008.
- Disappearing act: The invisibility cloak that will be ready in five years, Daily Mail, Oct 17, 2008.
Media response to our work in the field of transformation optics:
- Transformation Optics May Usher in a Host of Radical Advances, The A to Z of Nanotechnology, 2008.
- New Transformation Optics to Harness Nanotechnology to Radically Advance Optical Technologies, The A to Z of Materials, 2008.
- Transformation Optics as an Industrial Revolution, softpedia.com, 2008.
- New research field promises radical advances in optical technologies, eScienceNews.com, Oct 16, 2008.
- Science of invisibility's giant leap forward, The Toronto Star, Oct 25, 2008.
- An ‘invisibility cloak’ for tsunamis?, msnbc.com, Oct. 26, 2008.
- Invisibility Cloak And Ultra-powerful Microscopes: New Research Field Promises Radical Advances In Optical Technologies, Science Daily, Oct 17, 2008.
- An invisible cloak may be 5 years away using transformation optics, IDTechEx.com, Oct 21, 2008.
- Technology Toward Greater Transparency, The Daily Free Press, Feb. 10, 2009.
- The Object disappeared (in Russian), Expert Online, July 17, 2006.
- Physics And Progress, Physics News Update, March 16, 2007.
- Double-negative metamaterial edges towards the visible, physicsworld.com, March 16, 2007.
- Metamaterials have approached optical domain (in Russian), Elements, March 20, 2007.
- Nature Photonics - Cover Story, Nature Photonics, April, 2007.
- Into the red, Nature Photonics, April, 2007.
- Metamaterials Veer Toward the Visible, Optics and Photonics News, 18, 8-9, 2007.
- Purdue researchers develop material for better optics, communications, Military
and Aerospace Electronics, January 2006.
- Meta-material promises better optics and communications, Medical Design, April 1 2006.
- Out of Sight: Physicists get serious about invisibility shields (the Nanorod
metamaterial developed at our Lab is referred to on p.6), Science News Online, July 15, 2006.
- Surface plasmons: Enhanced nanoplasmonics, Nature Photonics.
- Photonic Frontiers: Metamaterials , Laser Focus World, July 1, 2006.
- All-optical modulator is capable of terahertz speeds, Laser Focus World, November 2006.
- Negative refraction goes optical, Physics Web, April 20, 2005.
- Nanorods could lead to 'superlenses', Nanotech Web, April 21, 2005.
- Obtaining Negative Refraction At Optical Wavelengths, High-Tech Materials Alert, May 6, 2005.
- Eine Superlinse erweitert die Möglichkeiten der Optik Rasche Fortschritte
bei Materialien mit negativem Brechungsindex, NZZ Online, May 18, 2005 .
- Research and Development of Left-Handed Materials Continues, Photonics Spectra, October 3, 2005.
- First Negative-Index Refraction in the Near-Infrared, Physics News Update, November 30, 2005.
- Infrared Light Can Now Have Negative Refraction Index (in Russian), Elements, January 5, 2005.
- Shifting Light Into Reverse, Chemical and Engineering News, December 7, 2005.
- Nanoantennas Show Promise In Diagnostic Imaging, Medical and Diagnostic Imaging Technology Alert, September 17, 2004.
- Teeny antennas, Popular Science, January 2003.
- Nanotechnology creates ideal optical medium, EETimes.com, August 27, 2002.
- 'Nanoantennas' Could Bring Sensitive Detectors, Optical Circuits, Photonics.com, September 3, 2002.
- The Amazing Vanishing Transistor Act, IEEE Spectrum, October, 2002.
- Metal Nanoparticle Arrays Guide and Focus Light, Nanoparticle News, September, 2002.
- Nanotechnology creates ideal optical medium, Electronic Engineering Times, September 2, 2002.
Our Selected Review Articles and Books