ECE 600: Random Variables and Signals
Fall Semester 2014
Homework 11 solutions have been posted. (12/16)
- A previous final exam plus solutions has been posted. (12/13)
- The TA will be holding office hours Monday 1:30pm-3:30pm and Tuesday 11:00am-1:00pm. He will not be available any other
time during the week, so please plan accordingly. I have provided him with the solutions manual for the fourth edition of Papoulis, so
if you would like to check your solutions to any problems in the book, please visit his office hours. You may look at the solutions for
specific problems in his office. Also, he has the solutions manual for the second edition of Leon-Garcia, which you can also look at.
Some of the problems may have changed in newer editions, but many have not. (12/13)
- Homework 10 solutions have been posted. Homework 11 solutions should be posted in the next day or two. (12/13)
- Homework 8 and Homework 9 solutions have been posted. (12/4)
- If you are looking for more information about the joint density function of n Gaussian random variables,
and the properties of the covariance matrix, you might like this article, which goes into more detail on this topic.
- Homework 6 solutions have been posted. Also, a previous Exam 2 and solutions have been posted. (11/3)
- As announced in class, Exam 2 has been changed to November 6, instead of November 4. Exam
2 will cover the material in Homeworks 4-6, and possibly Homework 7. Check here for further announcements
about this. (10/24)
- Homework 6 is due this Monday by 4:00pm. The due date for Homework 7 will be announced here after
class next Thursday. (10/24)
- Homework 4 and 5 solutions have been posted. (10/24)
- Homework 3 solutions have been posted. (9/30)
- I've posted a sample Exam 1 and solutions. (9/29)
- Homework 1 and Homework 2 solutions are posted. (9/27)
- Tentative due dates for homework: HW3 9/29; HW4 10/10; HW5 10/17; HW6 10/24;
HW7 10/31; HW8 11/12; HW9 11/19; HW10 11/25; HW11 12/5. Note that these dates are subject to change. (9/19)
- I've added information about the location of the TA's office hours to the TA information section below. (9/5)
- Our TA is named Salman Bashir, and he will begin holding office hours today (Sept. 5).
Please see TA info below for Salman's contact info and his schedule for office hours. I'm not sure
yet where his office hours will be held, but I will post an announcement later today to inform you.
Please see Salman if you have questions on Homework 1 before Tuesday. (9/5)
- Homework 1 will be due Tuesday Sept. 9 by 4pm. You can turn in your homework in class, or
you can leave it in a box in MSEE 330. (9/3)
- Welcome to ECE600! This is where I will post announcements for the class. Note that
announcements made in lecture will not necessarily appear here. (8/28)
When and where
- Class hours: TTh 1:30-2:45 pm, EE 270.
- Prof. Mary Comer
- Office: MSEE 332.
- Email: email@example.com
- Office hours: T 12:30-1:30pm, Th 2:45-3:45pm.
- Name: Salman Bashir
- Office: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: EE 209 Table 1; Wednesday, Friday: EE 208 Table 1.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours: M 1:30pm-3:30pm, T 11:00am-2:00pm, W 9:00am-11:00am, Th 2:30pm-5:30pm, F 1:30pm-3:30pm.
- A. Papoulis and S.U. Pillai, Probability, Random Variables, and Stochastic Processes, Fourth Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2002.
Exams and course grades
Course grades will be based on two midterm exams and a final.
- Midterm 1: Date TBA.
- Midterm 2: Date TBA.
- Final: Date TBA.
Course grade Your course grade will be based on your exam scores, weighted as follows:
- Homework 5%
- Midterm 1 30%
- Midterm 2 30%
- Final 35%