Principles of Turbulence
- Gain a basic physical and mathematical description of turbulence phenomena.
- Understand theoretical background of methods of analysis used in turbulence study.
- Understand the principles of numerical and experimental techniques for turbulence research.
- Understand the development and application of turbulent models.
Methods of description and basic equations for turbulent flows. Isotropic and homogeneous turbulence, energy spectra and correlations. Introduction to measurements. Wall turbulence, engineering calculations of turbulent boundary layers. Free turbulent jets and wakes.
- Fundamental concepts
- Classical Turbulence (free shear flows, wall-bounded turbulent flows)
- Dynamics of Turbulence (the scales of turbulent motions, homogenous turbulence)
- Solution Techniques (RANS modes, DNS, LES, introduction of experimental approaches)