Nano-device for Energy Harvesting and Sensing
- Be able to describe the terminology and basic concepts of thermoelectricity and piezoelectricity.
- Be able to explain the fundamental mechanism of unique properties of piezoelectric materials and thermoelectric materials.
- Be able to identify appropriate techniques for various nanodevice synthesis and processing method.
- Be able to describe the application of nanodevice for energy harvesting and sensing.
- Be able to explain the application of artificial intelligent technology for functional materials discovery.
This course will introduce students to the field of nanotechnology with a special emphasis on nanomaterials synthesis, characterizations and their applications in civil and environmental engineering. The specific applications will include, but not limited to, tailoring mechanical property, durability, self-cleaning, self-sealing, self-sensing, energy harvesting and other multi-functionality. It integrates the fields of materials science, civil engineering and electrical engineering. The basic concepts will be discussed including nano-scale effect, process-structure-property relationship, nano- and micro-structure property characterizations, multi-functional materials, nano-device fabrication and their applications for energy harvesting, water infiltrations and environmental sensing. lab will be provided to students enrolled in the course to learn nano and micro-structure characterizations skills.
Topics Covered:Nanotechnology, materials science, materials characterization, nano-device.
Prerequisites:CE59700 Fundamentals of Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology
Applied / Theory:50 / 50
Homework:One homework assignment
Exams:1 Final exam which is constituted by 25 multiple choice questions; 5 weekly quizzes.
Textbooks:No textbook is required, but reference books and resources are suggested as below:
- Callister and Rethwisch, Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: an integrated approach, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2011
- Guo, Hen and Lu, Multifunctional Nanocomposites for Energy and Environmental ISBN: 978-3-527-34213-6 Publisher: Wiley-VCH Inc, 2018.
- Jiang, Guo and Lu, Nanoscience: Nanomaterial Nanotechnology Applications. ISBN: 978-1-1970059-00-7. Publisher: Engineered Science Publisher, 2019.
- Rodgers, Nanoscience and Technology: A collection of reviews from Nature Journals, World Scientific Publishing, 2010.