Degree FAQs

Dual Degree MSE-MBA

I am looking for information on the MSE with MBA program that includes class requirements and possibly class descriptions.

The MSE + MBA program is an experience shared with IU Kelley. The program offers you two degrees in as little as 60 hours. You apply and are entered into one program.

How long does it take to complete the Dual MSE-MBA degree?

It depends. We recommend taking one course at a time. It may take 5+ years to complete both degrees.

Do I have to take the GMAT or GRE before entering the dual degree program, or can I take the GMAT before the MBA program starts?

You must complete the exam before you apply to the program. You can use GRE or GMAT scores for entrance in the program.

I'm interested in the MSE-MBA program. What do I need to do to apply?

Electronic Application - $60 Fee (domestic), $75 (international)
• Campus: Select "West Lafayette"
• Proposed Graduate Major: Select "Interdisciplinary Engineering"
• Area of Interest: Select "Dual Degree (MSE/MBA)"
GMAT/GRE - is required. You will need to send IU Kelley the official scores and we will need a copy of the unofficial score report.
• Register on to take the GMAT. On test day, include institution code GKS-8M-09 MBA, Kelley Direct Online as a score recipient.

Statement of Purpose Essay - uploaded to application

Release of Information Form 


3 Letters of Recommendations 

Two sets of your original transcripts from any college/university you have attended (including Purdue and any transfer credits you may have taken). One set for Purdue and the other for IU Kelley. 

Send transcripts to:

Purdue University

Attn: Graduate Program Coordinator
Wang Hall, Suite 2500
516 Northwestern Ave. 
West Lafayette, IN 47906-3105

Is the GRE required? What scores are required for admission?

Yes, GRE or GMAT scores are required for entrance into the program. 

GRE Minimum Scoring:
Quantitative Reasoning has to be a 160 or above.
Verbal Reasoning has to be 155 or above.
Analytics Writing is 4.0 or above

GMAT Minimum Scoring: 
General range of GMAT scores are 590-730. If you want to be competitive at IU, you should try to score 660 or higher and no lower than 590, though it is possible to gain acceptance with a lower score.

Can I apply to just the MSE and apply for the MBA later?

The only way to guarantee the reduced hours is to apply through this one program.

Do I have to come to the IU Kelley campus?

There are two, one-week residencies at the IU campus.

I'm interested in doing the MSE-MBA with the ENML concentration.

The Engineering Management & Leadership (ENML) concentration is not compatible with the dual degree. 

What courses are required for the MSE degree?

The online MSE offers an open plan of study and flexible study paths. The course menu is available online. 

MSE Degree Programs

What is the difference between the MSE and, for example, the MSME? Do employers prefer one or the other?

There are a lot of consistencies between the degrees. You're in the same classes. I can't speak to how employers are going to value the master's degree one over the other and we can't guarantee employment with one or the other. You choose based on your career goals.

What are the differences between the MSME and MSE with a focus in ME?

The MSME is restricted to those with a ME undergrad.

I am currently earning a bachelor's in Construction Engineering Technology. I would like to continue my education with a master's in engineering. Will I be able to pursue the master's of engineering at Purdue with that degree?

Yes, if you have the bare minimum requirement of math courses. We only admit a handful of non-engineering students.

I have an undergraduate degree in Physics, and I'm interested in the MSE degree. What are the admission requirements to get into that program? Do I need to take prerequisite courses? Will my diploma say that my degree is in Engineering?

There is a math requirement you will have to meet prior to applying. ABET accredited engineering degrees are preferred, but we do admit a handful of non-engineering students. Your diploma will read Masters of Science; your transcripts will detail the engineering specialization.

Do I have to declare a concentration with the MSE degree?

No, you can choose to pursue the degree as an Interdisciplinary Engineering degree.

How long do I have to complete the program?

There is no time limit, however, you cannot have more than a five year gap in studies.

I travel a lot for my job, is that a problem?

As long as you have good internet connections and access to exam sites, it shouldn't be a problem. Many of our students travel and move during the semester. You should be prepared to keep up with your coursework and make sure your professor is aware of your travel schedule.

How does the exam process work?

Exams are proctored. You are required to find proctors and exam sites. We assist you in this process.

MS/MSE – On-Campus

What is the difference between the online and on campus programs?

We offer two on-campus engineering management programs. A vast majority of our online programs are for working professionals. Students enroll in our online programs to study at a distance so they can accommodate full-time careers. The on-campus programs are for young engineers who are looking to accelerate their careers.

What financial aid is available for these programs?

"Purdue Online Learning, College of Engineering" does not offer financial aid at this time. Contact the financial aid or bursar's office.

What can I do to strengthen my application?

If the admissions committee thinks they need to see something more from you, we can let you know.

Do you have companies that I will be working with on my internship? What list of companies do you have to work with?

Yes, we work with companies and we're always adding new contacts. However, you're open to finding employment with anyone you want.

If I want, can I take my time and take longer to complete the one year program?

The degree is constructed that it can be completed in a year, but you don't necessarily have to finish in one year.

How selective is the program?

It's a selective program that is on par with the rest of Purdue's graduate programs. If you have a concern with your application, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. We encourage you to apply.

I'm an international student, which program should I apply to?

International students should apply to the 1-year program. It's much harder for you to get an internship, but we're working on opportunities. Visa restrictions are out of your control and we want to set you up for success in the program and your future career.

Other Degree Programs

For the MSME degree, do I need to take strictly 8 ME classes and 2 Math classes?

For specific ME degree details, you should contact the ME department at Purdue.

Is the online MS in Electrical Engineering equivalent to the on campus degree?

"Purdue Online Learning, College of Engineering" classes, professors, and coursework are the same as those as our on-campus MSEE students experience. On-campus is typically a thesis option. Our online course menu is broad. As with any on-campus program, you may have more course options

I'm interested in the MS in CS. What are the requirements? Are their prerequisites? How do I apply? What courses will I need to take?

For specific CS degree details, you should contact the CS department at Purdue.