Foundations of Chemical Engineering: Materials Balances
Learning Objective:This is a two week course starting June 24 and ending July 7, 2019.
- Apply the law of conservation of mass and conservation of atomic species in order to solve mass balances in unit operations with and without chemical reactions and with or without recycle streams.
- Apply the laws of conservation of mass and thermodynamic equilibrium data in order to formulate solutions for mass flow rates in multi-unit systems
- Utilize the concepts of transient mass balance problems in order to develop a basis for non steady state applications.
Students will engage with several aspects of materials balances, including open and closed systems; steady-state, transient, and multi-unit systems; and balances on reactive and multi-phase systems.
- Materials Balances without Reaction
- Materials Balances with Reaction
- Equations of State and Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium
- Transient Materials Balances