The AM Essentials course is one of 3 courses to fulfill the AM Engineers and Managers Certification or the AM Executives Certifications.
Discover additive manufacturing in our Additive Manufacturing Essentials course. Students will learn the basic steps in each key AM process as defined by ASTM F42, real-world applications of AM, and categorize material types used in AM.
Upon completion of this course, a graduate of Additive Manufacturing Essentials can expect to be able to identify and explain the essential concepts and knowledge, including the ability to define AM, how it works, and the different types of AM processes and materials. The content throughout the online course, including lecture videos, was developed by subject matter experts (SMEs) in additive manufacturing in collaboration with the highly-experienced Purdue online course development team.
Learning Activities include video lectures which discuss key topics in the course material, available 24 hours a day/seven days a week throughout the 5 weeks of the course, asynchronous online discussion forums, online self-tests, quizzes, a case study, and an online final exam. Students will also have the ability to interact with peers and instructors.
This course contains five modules:
- Module 1, Overview of Additive Manufacturing
- Module 2, Industries Using Additive Manufacturing
- Module 3, Additive Manufacturing Processes per ASTM F42
- Module 4, Additive Manufacturing Advantages for Decision Making
- Module 5, Additive Manufacturing Use Cases.
The course has clear learning objectives defining what each student will be able to understand upon completion of the instruction. At the end of the course, a graduate should be able to do the following:
- Define commonly used AM terms
- List the various industries that use AM
- Explain basic steps in each key process of AM
- Categorize material types used in AM
- Distinguish the advantages of AM over traditional manufacturing
- Identify good part candidates for AM
- Discuss the impact of both process and material selection in AM decision making
- List examples of real-world applications of AM
- Gain an understanding of the workflow and the tools required to turn a concept into a part
Students will have 5 weeks of online access from the time of enrollment to complete all learning materials within the course. During the 5 weeks, students will manage their own learning pace with the assistance of instructors. The course instructors are highly-qualified additive manufacturing professionals and can be contacted via email during the course for content questions not addressed within the learning materials or within the online threaded discussions.
You will need to earn at least 80% of the available points in the course of each of the quizzes is required for successful completion of the course. You also have the option of earning up to 2 continuing education units (CEUs) for successful completion of the Additive Manufacturing Essentials course.
Course = 2 CEUs (20 contact hours over 5 weeks)