CREATE CAREER ACCOUNT FOR myPURDUE & BLACKBOARD Printable PDF
Purdue Career and E-mail Accounts
All Purdue University students, faculty, and staff have a Purdue career account. Your Purdue career account can be used as long as you are a registered student of Purdue University. Your Purdue Career and E-mail Accounts are created when you are admitted to Purdue. Your Purdue Career Account login and password grants you access to myPurdue, as well as most ITaP (Information Technology at Purdue) services such as remote software and Blackboard.
myPurdue is a new portal system that replaced SSINFO in fall 2008 as the source for your academic and financial account information. The software package is called Banner, so you may hear that name or Self-Service Banner (SSB) as well. Students will have self-service access through the myPurdue portal to address verification, grades, transcripts, make online payments, view your course schedule and so much more.
Blackboard is the course management system utilized by Purdue University to centrally manage the content of and provide access to online instructional materials. Your professor may use Blackboard to post course materials such as lecture notes, homework or grades. You will need your career account username (also called your ALIAS) and password to log into Blackboard. You will be able to log into only those courses for which you are registered.
Following admission, all students must set up their Career Account.
STEP 1: Look up your Career Account Username
- Go to the Directories page at: https://www.itap.purdue.edu/directory
- Enter your first and last name into the Search field. Click the "Search" button.
- Locate your directory entry from "Your Search Results".
- Click on the "more" button. This will display your Details screen. You will see your Career Acct. Login as well as other information.
STEP 2: Set your Career Account Password
- Applicants will receive an email notice when their admission decision is available and must access their online admission letter.
- Within 24 hours of viewing the online letter, an email will be sent containing an initial account setup password.
- To activate your Career Account, go to: https://www.purdue.edu/apps/account/AccountSetup
- Enter your 10 digit PUID from your admission letter, initial account setup password, and other information as instructed.
- Create a new password of your choice and select "Password Challenge Questions" from Your Account Tools to enable self-reset.
If you forget your password and have set up your challenge questions:
- Go to https://www.itap.purdue.edu
- Click on the "Change Your Password" link.
- From the Login screen, click the "Forgot your password? Click here to reset it." phrase below the login box.
- Enter your PUID and click "Continue".
- Enter your date of birth in the correct format (mm/dd/yyyy) and click "Continue".
- Answer the challenge questions you selected and click "Continue".
- Enter a new password twice and click on "Reset Password".
If you forget your password and have NOT set up your challenge questions:
- Call the ITaP Customer Service Center at (765) 494-4000 to request a password reset. Be sure you have handy the following information:
You will be asked additional questions for verification purposes.
Once your password is changed, go to https://www.purdue.edu/securepurdue to complete your challenge questions for next time.
- Your 10 digit PUID number
- Your name as it appears on official Purdue mailings
- Your Purdue Career Account login/username
STEP 3: Activate your E-Mail Account
- Go to the Directories page at: https://www.itap.purdue.edu/directory.
- Click on "Update your Directory Listing".
- Login with your Career Account username and password.
- Click on the "change service" link and follow the prompts to either forward or store your email. DO NOT SET YOUR EMAIL TO REJECT.
- Login to your Career Account Information menu at: https://www.purdue.edu/apps/account
- Locate the section entitled "Your @purdue.edu E'Mail" and click on the "email service" link.
- Select a service setting option to control how email sent to your @purdue.edu email handled.
- Set to "Purdue myMail Service" in which your email can be accessed through Purdue myMail at: https://mymail.purdue.edu/
- Set to "Forward firstname.lastname@example.org email" so that you can redirect all email sent to your purdue.edu address to your work or personal email address. This option should be used with caution as some service providers may treat forwarded mail as spam.
- DO NOT DISABLE YOUR EMAIL.
STEP 4: Verify your Personal Information
- Login to myPurdue at: https://mypurdue.purdue.edu
- Click on the folder "Banner Self-Service" from the homepage.
- From the options revealed, click on "Personal Information".
- To view current information on file, select "View Addresses and Phones", "View E-mail Addresses", "View Emergency Contacts", etc.
- ADDRESS NOTE: The address listed in your personal information will be used to return graded assignments and exams to you during the semester. Whenever you move, you must update the information.
- To make changes to your information, select "Update Addresses and Phones", "Update E-mail Addresses", "Update Emergency Contacts", etc.
- E-MAIL NOTE: Your @purdue.edu email must be set to preferred and remain that way, even if you have set your service to forward (from Step 3 above).
- View your ProEd Profile at: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ProEd/current_student/student_information
- Provide or verify your employer and alternate email. All other corrections to your personal information must be made in myPurdue.
For additional information and help related to your Purdue Accounts, contact the ITaP Help Desk at (765) 494-4000.