Terrence R. Meyer
Professor of Mechanical Engineering; Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics (by Courtesy); Guest Professor, Erlangen University, Germany
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3003A
- BME, University of Minnesota at Minneapolis-St. Paul, 1993
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- Laser spectroscopy and imaging for combustion, sprays, energetics, hypersonics, plasmas, and non-equilibrium flows
- Applications to gas-turbine, rocket, internal combustion, and scramjet engine performance, efficiency, and emissions
- Thermal-fluid behavior at the extremes, including turbulent, high-temperature, high-pressure, multiphase, and non-equilibrium reacting flows
Awards and Recognitions
- Editor’s Pick in Applied Optics (2019) and Optics Letters (2019, 2020)
- Purdue University list of Outstanding Engineering Teachers in 2016 and 2018
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2017
- Chair (2019-2021), Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Energy and Combustion Science (formerly Laser Diagnostics in Combustion)
- Technical Chair (2018-2019), Aerodynamic Measurement Technology (AMT) Committee, AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition
- Visiting Professor, Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT), 2010-present
- NSF CAREER Award, Combustion, Fire, and Plasma Systems, 2011-2015.
- Best Presentation, 26th Annual Institute for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (ILASS)-Americas Conference, 2014
- William and Virginia Binger Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, 2011-2012
- Best Paper, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing, 2011
- General Co-Chair, 2010-2012, and Program Co-Chair, 2008-2010, Optical Society of America's Conference on Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis
- Chair, 2009-2010, and Vice-Chair, 2008-2009, Optical Society of America's Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing
- Co-editor, Applied Optics Special Issue, Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis, 2011.
- Sub-committee Chair for Award Nominations, Aerodynamic Measurement Technology Technical Committee, AIAA, 2009-2015
- Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Combustion, Invited Lectures in 2007 and 2011, and Hot Topics Invited Talks in 2005 and 2009
- Cover feature for Applied Optics, 2003, Applied Spectroscopy, 2007, and Applied Optics, 2009
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2006
- Chair, Ohio Valley Section of the Society for Applied Spectroscopy, 2005-2006
- AIAA Dayton-Cincinnati Section Outstanding Technical Contribution Award, 2003
- AIAA Foundation Graduate Award in Fluid Dynamics (PhD dissertation), 2001
- Graduate Fellowships: Ford Foundation, 2000, NSF, 1994-1997, University of Illinois Foundation, 1994-1997
K.A. Rahman, E.L. Braun, M.N. Slipchenko, S. Roy, and T.R. Meyer "Flexible chirp-free probe pulse amplification for kHz fs/ps rotational CARS," Opt. Lett. 45(2), 503-506, 2020; doi.org/10.1364/OL.382033 (Editor's Pick).
J. M. Fisher, M.E. Smyser, M.N. Slipchenko, S. Roy, and T.R. Meyer, "Burst-mode femtosecond laser electronic excitation tagging (FLEET) for kHz-MHz seedless velocimetry," Opt. Lett. 45(2), 335-338, 2020; doi.org/10.1364/OL.380109.
M.E. Smyser, M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, A.W. Caswell, and S. Roy, "Burst-mode laser architecture for generation of high-peak-power MHz-rate femtosecond pulses," OSA Continuum 2(12), 3490-3498, 2019; doi.org/10.1364/OSAC.2.003490.
B.R. Halls, N. Rahman, M.N. Slipchenko, J.W. James, A. McMaster, M.D.A. Lightfoot, J.R. Gord, and T.R. Meyer, "4D spatiotemporal evolution of liquid spray using kilohertz-rate x-ray computed tomography," Opt. Lett. 44(20), 5013-5016, 2019; doi.org/10.1364/OL.44.005013.
J.A. Tiarks, C.E. Dedic, T.R. Meyer, R.C. Brown, J.B. Michael, "Visualization of physicochemical phenomena during biomass pyrolysis in an optically accessible reactor," Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 143, 104667, 2019; doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2019.104667.
K.A. Rahman, V. Athmanathan, M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, and S. Roy, "Pressure-scaling characteristics of femtosecond, two-photon laser-induced fluorescence of carbon monoxide," Appl. Opt. 58(27), 7458-7465, 2019; doi.org/10.1364/AO.58.007458.
A.D. Casey, Z.A. Roberts, A. Satija, R.P. Lucht, T.R. Meyer, and S.F. Son, "Dynamic imaging of the temperature field within an energetic composite using phosphor thermography," Appl. Opt. 58(16), 4320-4325, 2019; doi.org/10.1364/AO.58.004320 (Editor's Pick).
A. Douglawi, A. McMaster, M.E. Paciaroni, J.B. Michael, B.R. Halls, J.R. Gord, and T.R. Meyer, "Tracer-free liquid-vapor imaging using lifetime-filtered planar laser-induced fluorescence," Opt. Lett. 44(8), 2101-2104, 2019; doi.org/10.1364/OL.44.002101.
A. Douglawi, V. Athmanathan, M.N. Slipchenko, J.R. Gord, and T.R. Meyer, "Lifetime-filtered laser-induced exciplex fluorescence for crosstalk-free liquid-vapor imaging," Opt. Lett. 44(6), 1399-1402, 2019; doi.org/10.1364/OL.44.001399 (Editor's Pick).
K. Arafat Rahman, V. Athmanathan, M.N. Slipchenko, S. Roy, J.R. Gord, Z. Zhang, and T.R. Meyer, "Quantitative femtosecond, two-photon laser-induced fluorescence of atomic oxygen in high-pressure flames," Appl. Opt. 58(8), 1984-1990, 2019; doi.org/10.1364/AO.58.001984.