Peter H. Meckl
Assistant Head for Facilities and Operations, and Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME G084, HLAB 1015
- B.S. Northwestern, '81
- M.S. MIT, '84
- Ph.D. MIT, '88
- Motion and vibration control
- Adaptive control
- Intelligent control using fuzzy logic and neural networks
- Engine and emissions diagnostics
Fundamental Research Area(s)
Awards and Recognitions
- ASME Auxiliary Farny Scholarship (1980)
- General Electric Scholarship (1981)
- DuPont Faculty Assistance Grant ($10,000) (1988)
- Caterpillar Foundation Young Faculty Development Grant ($5,000) (1989)
- NEC Faculty Fellow ($50,000) (July 1, 1990 - June 30, 1992)
- Ruth & Joel Spira Award for Excellence in Teaching (2000)
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Visiting Professorship ($26,000) (2005)
- Best Paper Award in the HUMS (Health and Usage Monitoring System) category at the American Helicopter Society Meeting (May 2009)
- Undergraduate Advising Award of Excellence from the College of Engineering (2016)
Joshi, A.A., James, S., Meckl, P., King, G., and Jennings, K, “Assessment of Charge-Air Cooler Health in Diesel Engines using Nonlinear Time Series Analysis of Intake Manifold Temperature, ” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 131, No. 4, July 2009.
Joshi, A.A., Meckl, P.H., King, G.B., and Jennings, K., “Data-dimensionality Reduction Using Information-Theoretic Stepwise Feature Selector,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 131, No. 4, July 2009.
Subrahmanya, N., Shin, Y.C., and Meckl, P.H., “A Bayesian machine learning method for sensor selection and fusion with application to on-board fault diagnostics,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 24, Issue 1, Jan. 2010, pp. 182-192.
Shin, Y.J., and Meckl, P.H., “Application of Combined Feedforward and Feedback Controller with Shaped Input to Benchmark Problem,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 132, No. 2, March 2010.
Satkoski, C.A., Shaver, G.M., More, R., Meckl, P., Memering, D., Venkataraman, S., Syed, J., and Carmona-Valdes, J., “Dynamic Modeling of a Piezoelectric Actuated Fuel Injector,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 133, No. 5, Sept. 2011.
Bhat, C.S., Meckl, P.H., Bolton, J.S., and Abraham, J., “Influence of fuel injection parameters on combustion-induced noise in a small diesel engine,” The International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 13, Issue 2, April 2012, pp. 130-146.
Lee, R.S.., Buzzard, G.T., and Meckl, P.H., “Optimal Parameter Estimation for Long-Term Prediction in the Presence of Model Mismatch,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 134, No. 4, July 2012.
Meyer, R.T., DeCarlo, R.A., Meckl, P.H., Doktorcik, C., and Pekarek, S., “Hybrid Model Predictive Power Management of a Fuel Cell-Battery Vehicle,” Asian Journal of Control, Vol. 15, No. 2, March 2013, pp. 363-379.
Yadav, A., Vinh, M., Shaver, G.M., Meckl, P., and Firebaugh, S., “Case-Based Instruction: Improving Students’ Conceptual Understanding Through Cases in a Mechanical Engineering Course,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, Vol. 51, No. 5, May 2014, pp. 659-677.
Hylton, B., Crandall, A., Koester, D., Bouquillon, B., Meckl, P., and Adams, D., “A Structural Dynamic Model Inversion-Based Technique to Characterize Impacts to a Full-Scale and Operational Helicopter Rotor Blade,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 83, Issue 12, Dec. 2016.