Justin A. Weibel
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2193
- Ph.D. Purdue University, '12
- B.S. Purdue University, '07
- Electronics cooling and packaging
- Phase-change transport phenomena
- Microscale and nanoscale surface engineering for enhanced thermal transport
- Energy efficiency in thermal systems
- Transport in porous materials
- Microscale diagnostics and sensing
Fundamental Research Area(s)
Awards and Recognitions
- ITherm Executive Committee Member, 2021
- ASME K-16 Outstanding Early Faculty Career in Thermal Management Award, 2021
- Outstanding Engineering Teacher (ME511: Spring 2019, Fall 2020)
- Purdue University Seed for Success Award, SCALE for Microelectronics Workforce Development, 2020
- ASME EPPD Young Engineer Award, 2020
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 2019
- Featured on Cover of Physical Review Letters, Vol. 120, 174501, 2018
- Purdue University Seed for Success Award, NEPTUNE Center for Power and Energy Research, 2016, 2018
- Purdue University Seed for Success Award, MicroICE: An Interchip Approach, 2013
- ASME Electronic & Photonic Packaging Division (EPPD) Student Member of the Year Award, 2011
- Ingersoll-Rand Fellow for Graduate Studies, 2010
- Helen and John Lozar Fellow for Graduate Studies, 2007-2009
- ASME InterPACK/ICNMM Outstanding Paper Awards, 2013, 2015.
- ASME InterPACK Nasser Grayeli Best Poster Awards, 2019, 2020.
- ASME InterPACK/ICNMM Best Poster Award, 2015.
- ICES Best Poster Award, 2017.
- IEEE ITherm Best Paper Award, 2016
- IEEE ITherm Outstanding Paper Award, 2019.
- IEEE ITherm Best Poster Awards, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.
- IEEE ITherm Outstanding Poster Awards, 2017, 2021.
- SEMI-THERM Best Paper Runner-Up and Best Student Paper, 2017.
S. Ozguc, L. Pan, and J.A. Weibel, Topology optimization of microchannel heat sinks using a homogenization approach, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 169, 120896, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2020.120896
A. A. Candadai, J.A. Weibel, A.M. Marconnet, Thermal conductivity of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene: from fibers to fabrics, Applied Polymer Materials 2, pp. 437-447, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsapm.9b00900
D. Back, K. P. Drummond, M. D. Sinanis, J. A. Weibel, S. V. Garimella, D. Peroulis, and D. B. Janes, Design, fabrication, and characterization of a compact hierarchical manifold microchannel heat sink array for two-phase cooling, IEEE Transactions on Components Packaging and Manufacturing Technology 9, pp. 1291-1300, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCPMT.2019.2899648
S. Sudhakar, J. A. Weibel, F. Zhou, E.M. Dede, and S. V. Garimella, Area-scalable high-heat-flux dissipation at low thermal resistance using a capillary-fed two-layer evaporator wick, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 135, pp. 1346-1356, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.02.075
I. L. Collins, J. A. Weibel, L. Pan, and S. V. Garimella, A permeable-membrane microchannel heat sink made by additive manufacturing, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 131, pp. 1174-1183, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.11.126
J. Cui, J. Wang, J.A. Weibel, L. Pan, A compliant microstructured thermal interface material for dry and pluggable interfaces, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 131, pp. 1075-1082, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.11.074
J. E. Castillo and J.A. Weibel, Predicting the growth of many droplets during vapor-diffusion-driven dropwise condensation experiments using the point sink superposition method, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 133, pp. 641-651, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.12.068
T. P. Allred, J.A. Weibel, and S.V. Garimella, Enabling highly effective boiling from superhydrophobic surfaces, Physical Review Letters 120, 174501, 2018. (Featured on Cover; Volume 120, Issue 17) https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.120.174501
T. Van Oevelen, J.A. Weibel, and S.V. Garimella, The effect of lateral thermal coupling between parallel microchannels on two-phase flow distribution, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 124, pp. 769-781, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.03.073
G. Patankar, J.A. Weibel, and S.V. Garimella, A validated time-stepping analytical model for 3D transient vapor chamber transport, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 119, pp. 867-879, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.11.135