Fehsenfeld Family Head of EEE, Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Potter Engineering Center, RM 204
500 Central Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2022
Office: POTR 204
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '87
- M.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '82
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '80
- Environmentally responsible design and manufacturing
- Sustainable systems
- Decision-making for sustainability
- Corporate social responsibility
- Sustainability education
Awards and Recognitions
- Fellow, CIRP – the International Academy for Production Engineering (College International pour la Recherche en Productique), 2011.
- SAE International John Connor Environmental Award, 2010.
- Outstanding Lifetime Service Award from NAMRI/SME, 2010.
- ASME Dedicated Service Award, 2009.
- SME Education Award, 2009.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2006.
- Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), 2005.
- ASME Manufacturing Engineering Division Outstanding Service Award, 2001 and 2004.
- SAE Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1999.
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, 1996.
- National Science Foundation Career Development Award, 1995.
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (SME), 1992
Kumar, V., J. W. Sutherland, "Development and Assessment of Strategies to Ensure Economic Sustainability of the U.S. Automotive Recovery Infrastructure," Resources, Conservation & Recycling, Vol. 53, No. 8, June 2009, pp. 470-477.
Sun, J., C. Ju, D. J. Michalek, and J. W. Sutherland, "Evaporation and Settling Behavior of Metalworking Fluid Aerosols,"Particulate Science and Technology: An International Journal, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2009, pp. 245-262.
Hutchins, M. J., J. S. Gierke, and J. W. Sutherland, "Development of a Framework and Indicators for Societal Sustainability in Support of Manufacturing Enterprise Decisions," Trans. of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 38, 2010, pp. 759-766.
Huang, H., L. Zhang, Z. Liu, and J. W. Sutherland,"Multi-Criteria Decision Making and Uncertainty Analysis for Materials Selection in Environmentally Conscious Design,"Int. J. of Adv. Manuf. Technology, Vol. 52, Nos. 5-8, 2010, pp. 421-432.
Sutherland, J. W., T. L. Jenkins, and K. R. Haapala, "Development of a Cost Model and its Application in Determining Optimal Size of a Diesel Engine Remanufacturing Facility," Annals of CIRP, Vol. 59/1, 2010, pp. 49-52.
Ramani, K., D. Ramanujan, W. Z. Bernstein, F. Zhao, J. Sutherland, C. Handwerker, J-K Choi, H. Kim, and D. Thurston, "Integrated Sustainable Life Cycle Design: A Review," Trans. of ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 132, Issue 9, Sept. 2010.
Zhang F., D. M. Johnson, and J. W. Sutherland, ???A GIS-Based Method for Identifying the Optimal Location for a Facility to Convert Forest Biomass to Biofuel,???Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol 35, No. 9, 2011, pp. 3951-3961.
Jiang, Zhigang, Hua Zhang, John W. Sutherland, ???Development of Multi-criteria Decision Making Model for Remanufacturing Technology Portfolio Selection,??? J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.19, 2011,pp. 1939-1945.
Clarke-Sather, A. R., Hutchins, M. J., Zhang, Q., Gershenson, J. K., and Sutherland, J. W., "Development of Social, Environmental, and Economic Indicators for a Small/Medium Enterprise," Special Issue on "Sustainability, Accounting and Reporting, International Journal of Accounting and Information Management - IJAIM, Vol. 19/3, 2011, pp. 247-266.
Fang, K., N. Uhan, F. Zhao, and J. W. Sutherland, "A New Approach to Scheduling in Manufacturing for Power Consumption and Carbon Footprint Reduction," SME J. of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 30/4, 2011,pp. 234-240; also appeared in Proc. of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 39, June 2011.