Kai Ming Li
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: HLAB 2006, ME 3061P
- B.S. University of London, '82
- Ph.D. University of Cambridge, '87
- Computational acoustics
- Physical acoustics
- Control of environmental noise
- Outdoor sound propagation
- Prediction and abatement of transportation noise
- Speech intelligibility in built environments
Awards and Recognitions
- 2002: Best Consultant Award, Faculty of Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. (This is an annual Faculty award for the most outstanding academic staff in the Faculty of Engineering for providing the best consultancy services to industry).
- 2002: The President Awards for Outstanding Performance/Achievement for 2001 at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. (The President Award was an annual award for academic staff with the best performance at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.)
- 2001: Exhibitions of research/consultancy projects at the Convention Centre, Hong Kong organized by the Innovation Technology Commission. Title of exhibition: Integrated Noise Control Technologies: Prediction and abatement of environmental Noise in Hong Kong.
- 1997: A research project exhibited in the British Science Museum, London between May and July. (Title of the project: Sound propagation over a curved surface). Exhibition theme: Noise? An exhibition at the cutting edge of research.
- 1996: Merit Award (an additional discretionary point) given by the Open University for contributions in teaching and research in the Discipline.
- 1995: Special Award given by the Faculty of Technology, The Open University in recognition for the services to the University.
- 1982-86: Research Scholarship awarded by Rolls Royce Ltd. for PhD studies at the University of Cambridge.
- 1982: Draper's Company Prize: Best performance in the final year Mechanical Engineering course, Queen Mary College.
- 1982: David Allan Low Prize: Overall best performance in the Faculty of Engineering, Queen Mary College.
- 1981: Draper's Company Prize: Best performance in the 2nd year Mechanical Engineering course, Queen Mary College.
Ten Select Publications
A J Jessop, K M Li, and J S Bolton, 2011. "Reduction of low frequency noise transmitted through a single-pane window," Accepted for publication at ACTA ACUSTICA united with ACUSTICA.
K M Li and W K Lui, 2010. "The scattering of sound by a long cylinder above an impedance boundary," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 127, 664-674.
Z Yu, K M Li, D Ou and C M Mak, 2010. "Transmission of Low-frequency sound through building structures," Noise Control Engineering, Journal, 58, 187-200.
K M Li and C Y C Lai, 2009. "A note on noise propagation in street canyons," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 126, 644-655.
K M Li and Z Yu, 2009. "A simple formula for predicting resonant frequencies of a rectangular plate with uniformly restrained edges," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 327, 254-268.
M K Law and K M Li and C W Leung, 2008. "Noise reduction in tunnels by hard rough surfaces," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 124, 961-972.
K M Li, M K Law, M P Kwok, 2008. "Absorbent parallel noise barriers in urban environments," Journal of Sound and Vibration, 315, 239-257.
K M Li, M P Kwok and M K Law, 2008. "A ray model for hard parallel barriers in high-rise cities," Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 123, 121-132.
K M Li, 2008. "An analytical formulation for predicting the attenuation of sound in a porous ground from an airborne source," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 123, 1352-1363.
K M Li, 2008. "Book review: Environmental noise barriers - A guide to their acoustic and visual design," by B Kotzen and C English, Noise Control Engineering, Journal, 56 (3), 434.