Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: CHAF 119
- Ph.D., Purdue University
- M.S., Purdue University
- B.S., University of California San Diego
- Dissimilar material 3D printing
- Additive manufacturing of energetic materials
- Additive manufacturing of materials for high temperature applications
- Quality control in additive manufacturing
Awards and Recognitions
- 2023 MIT Technology Review Innovators Under 35
- AFOSR YIP FY23 Award
- 2021 AIAA Propellants and Combustion Best Paper Award
- Top Cited Paper from 2020-2021 in Propellants, Explosives, and Pyrotechnics
M.S. McClain, R. Reeves, "Embracing Anisotropy - Opportunities and Challenges to the Functional Application of Advanced Manufacturing of Energetic Materials", Invited Editorial, Propellants, Explosives, and Pyrotechnics, 2023, Vol. 48, doi: 10.1002/prep.202380231
M.S. McClain, A. Afriat, J.F. Rhoads, I.E. Gunduz, S.F. Son, "Development and Characterization of a Photopolymeric Binder for Additively Manufactured Composite Solid Propellant Using Vibration Assisted Printing", Propellants, Explosives, and Pyrotechnics, Vol. 45(6), 2020, pp. 853-863, doi: 10.1002/prep.201900387.
M.S. McClain, I.E. Gunduz, S.F. Son, "Additive Manufacturing of Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant with High Solids Loadings". Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 37 (3), 2019, pp. 3135-3142, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2018.05.052.
I.E. Gunduz, M. McClain, P. Cattani, G. T.-C. Chiu, J.F. Rhoads, S.F. Son, "3D Printing of Extremely Viscous Materials Using Ultrasonic Vibrations". Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 22, 2018, pp. 98-103, doi: 10.1016/j.addma.2018.04.029.