Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- Ph.D. (ME), Georgia Institute of Technology, '05
- M.S. (ME), Georgia Institute of Technology, '03
- B.Tech. (ME), Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, '00
- Collective innovation
- Open source product development
- Complex networks
- Agent-based modeling
- Computational design
- Robust design and uncertainty management
- Integrated products and materials design
Awards and Recognitions
- NSF CAREER Award, 2010 - 2015
- Robert E. Fulton SEIKM Best Paper Award at the ASME Computers and Information in Engineering (CIE) conference, 2013
- Reid Miller Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award by the College of Engineering and Architecture (CEA), 2012, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- Teaching Excellence Award, 2011, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- Young Engineer Award, 2010 ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Division
- Robert E. Fulton EIM Best Paper Award at the ASME Computers and Information in Engineering (CIE) conference, 2004
- NSF/ASME Essay Competition Winner at ASME International Design Engineering and Technical Conferences (iDETC), 2004
- Woodruff School Doctoral Teaching Fellowship, 2005, Georgia Institute of Technology
- University Silver Medal, 2000, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati
- Merit Scholarship, 1996-2000, IIT Guwahati
Ten Select Publications
McDowell, D. L., Panchal, J. H., Choi, H.-J., Seepersad, C. C., Allen, J. K., and Mistree, F., 2009, Integrated Design of Multiscale, Multifunctional Materials and Products, Elsevier. ISBN: 9781856176620.
Hawthorne, B., Panchal, J. H., 2013, "Bi-level formulation of a Policy Design Problem Considering Multiple Objectives and Incomplete Preferences," Engineering Optimization, in press (available online). DOI: 10.1080/0305215X.2013.819093
Taha, A. and Panchal, J. H., in press, "Multilevel Decision-making in Decentralized Energy Systems with Multiple Technologies and Uncertainty," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems.
Panchal, J. H., Kalidindi, S. R., McDowell, D. L., 2013, "Key Computational Modeling Issues in Integrated Computational Materials Engineering," Journal of Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 4-25.
Le, Q. and Panchal, J. H., 2012, "Analysis of the Interdependent Co-evolution of Product Structures and Community Structures Using Dependency Modeling Techniques," Journal of Engineering Design (special issue on Dependency Modeling in Complex System Design), Vol. 23, Nos. 10-11, pp. 804-825.
Le, Q. and Panchal, J. H., 2012, "Building Smaller-Sized Surrogate Models of Complex Bipartite Networks based on Degree Distributions," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 1152 - 1166. DOI: 10.1109/TSMCA.2012.2183589.
Panchal, J. H., Messer, 2011, "Extracting the Structure of Design Information from Collaborative Tagging," Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 4, 041007(1-11).
Le, Q. and Panchal, J. H., 2011, "Modeling the Effect of Product Architecture on Mass-Collaborative Processes," Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 1, (011003)1-12.
Panchal, J. H., 2009, "Agent-Based Modeling of Mass-Collaborative Product Development Processes," Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 3, (031007)1-12.
Panchal, J.H., Paredis, C. J. J., Allen, J. K., and Mistree, F., 2009, "Managing Design-Process Complexity: A Value-of-Information Based Approach for Scale and Decision Decoupling," Journal of Computing and Information Sciences in Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 2, (021005)1-12.