Justin A. Weibel
Research Associate Professor
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- Ph.D. Purdue University, '12
- B.S. Purdue University, '07
- Electronics cooling and packaging
- Phase-change transport phenomena
- Microscale and nanoscale surface engineering for enhanced thermal transport
- Multiphase and psychrometric thermal systems
- Transport in porous materials
- Microscale diagnostics and sensing
Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding Paper Award, InterPACK/ICNMM 2015
- Bravo Award, College of Engineering, Purdue University, 2014.
- Purdue University Seed for Success Award, Microcooling for Intensely Concentrated Electronics (MicroICE): An Interchip Approach, 2013.
- Outstanding Paper Award, InterPACK, 2013
- ASME Electronic & Photonic Packaging Division (EPPD) Student Member of the Year Award, 2011.
- Ingersoll-Rand Fellow for Graduate Studies, 2010.
- Helen and John Lozar Fellow for Graduate Studies, 2007-2009.
Ten Select Publications
J. A. Weibel and S. V. Garimella, Recent advances in vapor chamber transport characterization for high heat flux applications, Adv Heat Transfer 45: 209-301, 2013.
G. Patankar, S. Mancin, J. A. Weibel, M. A. MacDonald, and S. V. Garimella, A method for thermal performance characterization of ultra-thin vapor chambers cooled by natural convection, ASME J Electron Packag, in press. (invited; ASME InterPACK/ICNMM Outstanding Paper Award recipient)
J.A. Weibel, S.V. Garimella, and M.T. North, Characterization of evaporation and boiling from sintered powder wicks fed by capillary action, Int J Heat Mass Transfer 53: 4204-4215, 2010. (highlighted as one of the most cited papers in IJHMT since 2010)
J.A. Weibel, S.S. Kim, T.S. Fisher, and S.V. Garimella, Carbon nanotube coatings for enhanced capillary-fed boiling from porous microstructures, Nanosc Miscosc Therm 16:1-17, 2012. (highlighted as one of five high-impact papers published in 2012-2013)
K. K. Bodla, J. A. Weibel and S. V. Garimella, Advances in fluid and thermal transport property analysis and design of sintered porous wick microstructures, J Heat Transfer 135:061202, 2013. (invited; special issue: 75th anniversary celebration of the heat transfer division)
Z. Pan, J.A. Weibel, and S.V. Garimella, A saturated-interface-volume phase change model for simulating flow boiling, Int J Heat Mass Transfer 93, pp. 945-956, 2016.
Z. Pan, J. A. Weibel, and S.V. Garimella, Influence of surface wettability on transport mechanisms governing water droplet evaporation, Langmuir 30:9726-9730, 2014.
X. Chen, J.A. Weibel, and S.V. Garimella, Exploiting microscale roughness on hierarchical superhydrophobic copper surfaces for enhanced dropwise condensation, Adv Mater Interfaces 2:1400480, 2015. (selected to appear as inside cover article)
X. Chen, R.S. Patel, J.A. Weibel, and S.V. Garimella, Coalescence-induced jumping of multiple condensate droplets on hierarchical superhydrophobic surfaces, Sci Rep 6, 18649, 2016.
S. V. Garimella, T. Persoons, J. A. Weibel, and L. T. Yeh, Technological drivers in telecom systems and data centers: multiscale thermal, electrical and energy management, Appl Energy 107:66-80, 2013.