Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- Dynamics and control of biological, bioinspired, and human-machine systems.
- Animal and robot locomotion, legged robots, human locomotion and transportation devices.
- Human-centered systems.
- Nonlinear, complex, hierarchical "architectural" systems.
Awards and Recognitions
- Intelligence Community Postdoctoral Fellow, 2006-2009.
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellow, 2001-2006.
- Phi Kappa Phi Fellow, 2001-2002.
- Goldwater Scholar, 2000-2001.
- ASHRAE Society Scholar, 2000.
Ten Select Publications
J. Seipel, P. Holmes, R.J. Full. Dynamics and stability of insect locomotion: A hexapedal model for horizontal plane motions. Biological Cybernetics 91(2):76-90, 2004.
J. Seipel, P. Holmes. Running in three dimensions: Analysis of a point-mass sprung-leg model. Int. J. Robotics Research 24(8):657-674, 2005.
A.J. Spence, S. Revzen, J. Seipel, C. Mullins, R.J. Full. Insects running on elastic surfaces. J. Exp. Biology. 213(11):1907-1920, 2010.
Z.H. Shen, J. Seipel. A fundamental mechanism of legged locomotion with hip torque and leg damping. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics. 7(4): 15 pages, 2012.
J. Ackerman, J. Seipel. Energy Efficiency of Legged Robot Locomotion with Elastically Suspended Loads. IEEE Transactions on Robotics. 29(2):321-330, 2013.
J. Ackerman, J. Seipel. A Model of Human Walking Energetics with an Elastically-Suspended Load. Journal of Biomechanics, 47(8):1922–1927, 2014.
Z.H. Shen, P. Larson, J. Seipel. A comparison of rotary and radial forcing effects on legged locomotion. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics. 9(3): 16 pages, 2014.
K. Potwar, J. Ackerman, J. Seipel. Design of Compliant Bamboo Poles for Load Carrying. ASME J. Mech. Design. 137(1): 14 pages, 2015.
J. Ackerman, K. Kelley, J. Seipel. The Dynamics of a Hand-held Carrying Suspension. J. Biomechanics. 48(6), 8 pages, 2015.
Z.H. Shen, J. Seipel. Animals prefer leg stiffness values that may reduce the energetic cost of locomotion. J. Theoretical Biology. Volume 364:433-438, 2015.