Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, '04
- B.S., Tianjin University, China, '95
- Principles of aerial and aquatic locomotion in animals
- Experimental fluid mechanics
- Bio-inspired robotics
- Biologically inspired micro aerial vehicles and underwater robots
- Bio-sensing and sensor fusion algorithms
Awards and Recognitions
- NSF CAREER Award, 2006-2011
- Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination, University of Delaware, 2005.
- Best Student Paper Award Finalist, first author, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2003.
- Tianjin University -North American Alumni Association Fund Scholarship(awarded to 4 out of the total of 12,000 undergraduates annually), 1995
- Excellent Student Award, Tianjin University, 1993, 1994
Ten Select Publications
B. Cheng and X. Deng*, ”Aerodynamic Damping and Near Hover Stability of Flapping Flight”, Journal of Experimental Biology, submitted.
Z. Huand X. Deng*, “Aerodynamics Interactions of Forewing and Hindwing in a Hovering Dragonﬂy”, Journal of Experimental Biology, submitted.
L. Zhao, S. Sane and X. Deng*, “The Eﬀect of Leading Edge Vortex on the Aerodynamic Force Production of Flapping Wings”, Experiments in Fluids, submitted.
L. Zhao and X. Deng*, “Power Eﬃciency in the Flight of Hawkmoth Manduca Sexta”, to appear in Journal of Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, 18 pages, Vol. 4, No. 4, December, 2009.
L. Zhao, Q. Huang, S. Sane and X. Deng*, “Aerodynamic Eﬀects of Wing Flexibility in Flapping Flight”, in Journal of Royal Society Interface, in press.
B. Cheng, Q. Huang, S. Fry, M. Dickinson and X. Deng*, “Dynamics and Control of Turning in Fruit Fly Drosophila”, Journal of Experimental Biology, in press.
D. Campolo*, L. Schenato, X. Deng and E. Gugliellmelli, “Attitude Stabilization of a Biologically Inspired Robotic Houseﬂy via Dynamic Multimodal Attitude Estimation”, Advance Robotics, Vol. 23, No. 10, 2009.
T. Hedrick*, B. Cheng and X. Deng*, “Wingbeat Time and Scaling of Passive, Rotational Damping in Flapping Flight”, in Science, Vol. 324. no. 5924, pp. 252 -255, April, 2009.
C. DiLeo and X. Deng*, “Design and Experiments of a Dragonﬂy-inspired Robot”, in Advanced Robotics, Volume 23, Numbers 7-8, p 1003-1021, 2009.
D. Campolo*, L. Schenato, X. Deng and E. Gugliellmelli, “Attitude Stabilization of Biologically Inspired Micromechanical Flying Insects: Attitude Estimation via Multimodal Sensor Fusion”, in Advance Robotics, Volume 23, Numbers 7-8, 2009 , pp. 955-977, 2009.