Jong Hyun Choi
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.S., Yonsei University, '99
- M.S., Yonsei University, '01
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, '05
- Biomolecular nanomanufacturing
- DNA origami and self-assembly
- Optical nanoscopy and nanosensors
- Bioinspired nanomechanical systems
- Nanoscale energy conversion
Awards and Recognitions
- Perry Academic Excellence Scholar, 2016
- NAE German-American Frontiers of Engineering, 2015
- ASEE Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2013
- Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award, 2012
- NAE Frontiers of Engineering Education, 2012
- NSF CAREER Award, 2011
- Shen Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2006
- Clyde Sanfred Johnson Memorial Fellowship, 2005
- AWMA Scholarship, 2004
Ten Select Publications
F. Li, H. Chen, J. Pan, T.G. Cha, I. Menditz, and J.H. Choi, "A DNAzyme-Mediated Logic Gate for Programming Molecular Capture and Release on DNA Origami," Chemical Communications, 52, 8369-8372 (2016).
H. Chen, H. Zhang, J. Pan, T.G. Cha, S. Li, J. Andreasson, and J.H. Choi, "Dynamic and Progressive Control of DNA Origami Conformation by Modulating DNA Helicity with Chemical Adducts," ACS Nano, 10, 4989-4996 (2016).
H. Zhang, J. Choi, A. Ramani, D. Voiry, S.N. Natoli, M. Chhowalla, D.R. McMillin, and J.H. Choi, "Engineering Chemically-Exfoliated Large-Area Two-Dimensional MoS2 Nanolayers with Porphyrins for Improved Light Harvesting," ChemPhysChem, 17, 2854-2862 (2016).
J. Choi, H. Zhang, and J.H. Choi, "Modulating Optoelectronic Properties of 2D Transition Metal Dichalcogenides by Photo-induced Charge Transfer," ACS Nano, 10, 1671-1680 (2016).
J. Choi, H. Chen, F. Li, L. Yang, S.N. Kim, R. Naik, P. Ye, and J.H. Choi, "Nanomanufacturing of 2-D Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Materials Using Self-Assembled DNA Nanotubes," Small, 11, 5520-5527 (2015).
T.G. Cha, J. Pan, H. Chen, H.N. Robinson, X. Li, C. Mao, and J.H. Choi, "Design Principles of DNA Enzyme-based Walkers: Translocation Kinetics and Photoregulation," Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137, 9429-9437 (2015).
H. Zhang, M.A. Bork, K.J. Riedy, D.R. McMillin, and J.H. Choi, "Understanding Photophysical Interactions of Semiconducting Carbon Nanotubes with Porphyrin Chromophores," Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 118, 11612-11619 (2014).
H. Chen, T.W. Weng, M.M. Riccitelli, Y. Cui, J. Irudayaraj, and J.H. Choi, "Understanding the Mechanical Properties of DNA Origami Tiles and Controlling the Kinetics of their Folding and Unfolding Reconfiguration," Journal of the American Chemical Society, 136, 6995-7005 (2014).
T.G. Cha, J. Pan, H. Chen, J. Salgado, X. Li, C. Mao, and J.H. Choi, "A Synthetic DNA Motor That Transports Nanoparticles along Carbon Nanotubes," Nature Nanotechnology, 9, 39-43 (2014).