Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and Professor of Industrial and Physical Pharmacy (by Courtesy)
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3003J
- B.S. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '90
- M.S. California Institute of Technology, '92
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, '97
- Granular flow about immersed obstacles
- Discrete element modeling for particulate systems
- - model and algorithm development
- - data visualization
- Pharmaceutical characterization and manufacturing
- - tablet coating
- - granulation
- - hopper flows
- - drop spreading dynamics
- - granule and tablet attrition
- - cohesion modeling
- - blending dynamics
- - powder compact characterization
- Roller bearing dynamics modeling
Awards and Recognitions
- AIAA Scholastic Achievement Award for the highest GPA in Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (May 1990)
- Charles Lee Powell Graduate Fellowships at the California Institute of Technology (1991-92, Su 1993, 1994-95)
- Seed for Success Awards (2004, 2005, 2006) for PIs on grants totaling more than $1M
- Byars' Prize (Clemson University, 1997) - Awarded to the outstanding assistant or associate professor at Clemson University teaching an engineering mechanics course.
- 1999 NSF CAREER Award recipient
- Placed in the top ten of the 2002 Solberg Award for the best teacher in Mechanical Engineering.
- 2004 Purdue University Teaching for Tomorrow Award recipient
- 2005 Spira Award for Outstanding Contributions to the School of Mechanical Engineering and its Students
- Member of the 2010 College of Engineering Team Excellence Award
- 2009 International Fine Particles Research Institute 1st Place Poster award (graduate student: Ben Freireich, Ph.D. received in 2010)
- 2010 American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Regulatory Science Section Outstanding Contributed Paper Award, "Key issues in understanding and predicting excipient properties and functionality," Co-authors: T. Wang, K. Alston, S. Hoag, T. Li, P. Basu, L. Mockus, and C. Wassgren
Ten Select Publications
Li, J., Wassgren, C., and Litster, J.D., 2013, "Multi-scale modeling of a spray coating process in a paddle mixer/coater: The effect of particle size distribution on particle segregation and coating uniformity," Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 95, pp. 203 - 210.
Kumar, R. and Wassgren, C., 2013, "Angular circulation speed of tablets in a vibratory tablet coating pan," AAPS PharmSciTech, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 339 - 351.
Muliadi, A., Wassgren, C., and Litster, J., 2012, "Validation of 3-D finite element analysis for predicting the density distribution of roll compacted pharmaceutical powder," Powder Technology, Vol. 237, pp. 386 - 399.
Guo, Y., Wassgren, C., Ketterhagen, W., Hancock, B., Benjamin, J., and Curtis, J., 2012, "A numerical study of granular shear flows of rod-like particles using the discrete element method," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 713, pp. 1 - 26.
Guo, Y., Wassgren, C., Ketterhagen, B., Hancock, B., and Curtis, J., 2012, "Some computational considerations associated with discrete element modeling of cylindrical particles," Powder Technology, Vol. 228, pp. 193 - 198.
Kayrak-Talay, D., Dale, S., Wassgren, C., and Litster, J., 2012, "Quality by design for wet granulation in pharmaceutical processing: Assessing models for a priori design and scaling," Powder Technology, Vol. 240, pp. 7 - 18.
Sarkar, A. and Wassgren, C.R., 2012, "Comparison of flow microdynamics for a continuous granular mixer with predictions from periodic slice DEM simulations," Powder Technology, Vol. 221, pp. 325-336.
Li, J., Freireich, B.J., Wassgren, C.R., and Litster, J., 2012, "Experimental validation of a 2-D population balance model for spray coating processes," Chemical Engineering Science, doi: 10.1016/j.ces.2012.02.036.
Muliadi, A., Wassgren, C., and Litster, J., 2012, "Modeling the powder roll compaction process: Comparison of 2-D finite element method and the rolling theory for granular solids (Johanson's model)," Powder Technology, Vol. 221, pp. 90 - 100.
Kodam, M., Curtis, J., Hancock, B., and Wassgren, C., 2012, "Discrete element method modeling of bi-convex pharmaceutical tablets: Contact detection algorithms and validation," Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 69, No. 1, pp. 587 - 601.