James D. Jones
Associate Head and Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.S. Tennessee Tech., '81
- M.S. VPI & SU, '82
- Ph.D. VPI & SU, '87
- Cooperative learning
- Active noise and vibration control
- Smart materials
- Intelligent structures
Awards and Recognitions
- Fellow, Purdue University Teaching Academy, In recognition of outstanding contributions to the teaching and learning environment of Purdue University, September 27, 1999.
- Murphy (Purdue University) Teaching Award, Purdue University, 1999
- Solberg (Mechanical Engineering) Teaching Award, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University 1998.
- 1997 Helen Plants Award for the most outstanding “nontraditional session” at the 1997 Frontiers in Education Conference, ASEE Educational Research and Methods Division and the IEEE Education Society, November 1998.
- Frederick L. Hovde Outstanding Faculty Fellow Award, April 1998.
- Selected as an Honorary Member of Phi Eta Sigma, Freshman Engineering Honorary, November 1998.
- The 1997 Curriculum Innovation Award, Honorable Mention, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, November 1997.
- Faculty Summer Fellow, Boeing Helicopter Division, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 16-August 8, 1997.
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 4th Edition, Marquis Who's Who, February 1997.
- Citation for Teaching Excellence, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, April 1996.
- The Ruth and Joel Spira Award for "outstanding contributions to the School of Mechanical Engineering and its students," School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 1996.
- DOW Outstanding New Faculty Award, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), IL/IN Section, 1995.
- Dean Marion B. Scott Exemplary Character Award for Providing Inspiration and Exemplary Guidance to Students in Engineering, Tau Beta Pi, Indiana Alpha Chapter, Purdue University, 1995.
- Class of 1941 Teaching Innovation Grant, Purdue University, May 1994.
- Best Paper Award for the 1990 Publication Year, The International Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis, Unanimous Selection by the Honors Committee of the Society of Experimental Mechanics, February 1992.
- American Men and Women of Science, Eighteenth Edition, American Men and Women of Science, January 1992.
- Community Leaders of America, Fourteenth Edition, The American Biographical Institute Inc., 1990.
- Outstanding Young Alumnus Award, Tennessee Technological University, 1989.
- Presidential Young Investigator (NSF-PYI) Award, National Science Foundation, 1989.
- The International Directory of Distinguished Leadership, Second Edition, The American Biographical Institute Inc., 1989.
- International Who's Who of Intellectuals, Eighth Edition, International Biographical Centre, 1988.
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence (one of only four in the College of Engineering), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1986.
- Top Ten Percent in Teaching Effectiveness, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1985 and 1986.
- Awarded Noise Control Scholarship for Contributions in the Area of Noise Control, North Carolina Regional Chapter of the Acoustical Society of America, 1986.
- Selected as Outstanding Young Man of America for Professional Achievements, Outstanding Young Men of America, 1986.
Ten Select Publications
Oakes, W.C., McComb, S.A., Mulkay, E.L., Berger, E.J., Blevins, L., Stamber, K., and Jones, J.D., "Equipping Undergraduates for the Graduate School Process," Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 88, No. 3, pp. 353??360, July 1999.
Pan, F., and Jones, J.D., "Gas Path Sound Transmission in Spherically-Shaped Reciprocating Compressors: Theory and Experiment," Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 121, No. 1, pp. 8-17, January 1999.
Berger, E.J., Diefes, H.A., K.H. Hamaker, Jones, J.D., McComb, S.A., Mulkay, E.L., and Oakes, W.C., "ASEE Student Chapters: Perspectives on and Preparation for Higher Education," Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 87, No. 3, pp. 231-234, July 1998.
Hood, M.S., Wood, T.L., and Jones, J.D., "Classroom Captioning for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students," Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 86, No. 3, pp. 273-278, July 1997.
Shahin, A.R., Meckl, P.H., and Jones, J.D., "Modeling of SMA Tendons for Active Control of Structures," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 51-70, January 1997.
Kim, S.J., and Jones, J.D., "Effects of Piezo-Actuator Delamination on the Performance of Active Noise and Vibration Control Systems," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 668-676, November 1996.
Sonti, V.R., and Jones, J.D., "Curved Piezoactuator Model for Active Vibration Control of Cylindrical Shells", AIAA Journal , Vol. 34, No. 5, May 1996.
Sonti, V.R., and Jones, J.D., "Dynamic Effects of Piezo-actuators on the Cylindrical Shell Response", AIAA Journal, Vol. 34, No. 4, April 1996.
Sonti, V.R., Kim, S.J., and Jones, J.D.,"Equivalent Forces and Wavenumber Spectra of Shaped Piezoelectric Actuators," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 187, No. 1, pp 111-131, October 1995.
Ball, J.B., and Jones, J.D., "A Comparison of Shaped Piezoelectric Actuators for Divergence Control," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 598-609, September 1995.