Steven T. Wereley
Professor Of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.A., Physics, Lawrence University, '90
- B.S., M.E., Washington University (St. Louis), '90
- M.S., M.E., Northwestern, '92
- Ph.D., M.E., Northwestern, '97
- Microfluidic MEMS devices
- Development of new microfluidic diagnostic techniques
- Biological flows at the cellular level
- Micro-scale laminar mixing
- Flow transitions and instabilities
Awards and Recognitions
- 3rd Prize, ASME-IMECE Society-Wide Micro/Nano Technology Forum Best Poster Competition, HS Chuang, A Kumar, and ST Wereley, ―Rapid Electrokinetic Patterning Of Colloidal Particles With Optical Landscapes‖, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, 2009
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellow (3/2007-8/2007; 6/2008-7/2008; 6/2009-7/2009)
- 1st Place, Gold Division, Burton D. Morgan Business Plan Competition. Ahmed M. Amin, S.C. Jacobson, M. Thottethodi, T.N. Vijaykumar and S.T. Wereley. ―Microfluidic Innovations.‖ Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, February 2009.
- 2nd Place, Gold Division, Burton D. Morgan Business Plan Competition. SJ Williams, H.-S. Chuang and A Kumar. Liquid Qinetics. Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, Feb. 24, 2009.
- 1st Place Poster, Engineering Sciences, SJ Williams, A Kumar, and ST Wereley, ―Rapid electrokinetic patterning of colloids using optical landscapes‖, 2009 Graduate Student Poster Competition sponsored by Sigma Xi, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, Feb. 2009.
- 3rd Place, 2008 Ecological Science and Engineering Poster Competition. H.-S. Chuang and Steven T. Wereley. ―Open Optolelectrowetting Droplet Actuation for Lab-on-a-Chip Applications.‖ Dec. 5, 2008.
- Outstanding Video, Gallery of Fluid Motion at Amer. Phys. Soc./Div. Fluid Dyn. Annual Meeting, SJ Williams, A Kumar, and ST Wereley, ―Optically induced electrokinetic pattering and manipulation of particles,‖ San Antonio, TX, Nov. 2008. Note: Most downloaded video from eCommons@Cornell for the month of December, 2008. (http://hdl.handle.net/1813/11399)
- "2008 Highlight" distinction conferred by the journal Measurement Science and Technology to the article ―Three-dimensional particle tracking using micro-particle image velocimetry hardware‖ by Peterson, Chuang, and Wereley.
- Young Researcher Poster Award Winner at Proc. 12th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (μTAS 2008), A Kumar, SJ Williams and ST Wereley, ―Rapid electrokinetic patterning of colloids using optical landscapes‖, San Diego, USA, Oct 12-16, 2008.
- Best Poster Award at the 2nd Annual Birck Nanotechnology Research Review, S. Williams, A. Kumar, and S.T. Wereley, ―Rapid electrokinetic patterning of colloidal particles with optical landscapes,‖ April 14, 2008.
- 21st Annual Purdue University Burton Morgan Business Plan Competition, 4th place, A. Amin, H.S. Chuang, T.N. Vijaykumar, T. Thodentoddi, S.T. Wereley, and S. Jacobson, developed a business plan for commercializing programmable Lab-on-a-Chip devices.
- Seeds for Success Award (1/2007)—awarded for proposals funded in excess of one million dollars
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award (3/2000, 3/2001, 3/2002)—support for untenured faculty in the pursuit of basic research in the physical and/or biological sciences.
- Walter Murphy Fellowship (9/1990)—support for outstanding graduate students
Ten Select Publications
HS Chuang, SC Jacobson, and ST Wereley, "A diffusion-based cyclic particle extractor," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics (2010). DOI 10.1007/s10404-010-0589-0
P Chamarthy, SV Garimella and ST Wereley, "Measurement of the temperature non-uniformity in a microchannel heat sink using microscale laser-induced fluorescence," International J. Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 53, pp. 3275–3283 (2010). doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.02.052
A Kumar, HS Chuang, and ST Wereley, "Dynamic Manipulation by Light and Electric Fields: Micrometer Particles to Microliter Droplets," Langmuir, Vol. 26, pp. 7656-7660 (2010). DOI: 10.1021/la100614h
A Kumar, JS Kwon, SJ Williams, NG Green, NK Yip, and ST Wereley, "Optically modulated electrokinetic manipulation and concentration of colloidal particles near an electrode surface," Langmuir, Vol. 26, pp 5262–5272 (2010). DOI: 10.1021/la904661y
SJ Williams, A Kumar, NG Green and ST Wereley, "Optically induced electrokinetic concentration and sorting of colloids," J. Micromech. Microeng. 20 (2010) 015022 (11pp).
SJ Williams, CB Park, and ST Wereley, "Advances and applications on microfluidic velocimetry techniques," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol. 8, p. 709-726 (2010). DOI: 10.1007/s10404-010-0588-1
HS Chuang and ST Wereley, "Rapid patterning of slurry-like elastomer composites using a laser-cut tape," J. Micromech. Microeng. 19 097001 (5pp) doi: 10.1088/0960-1317/19/9/097001
SJ Williams, A Kumar, N Green, and ST Wereley, "A simple, optically induced electrokinetic method to concentrate and pattern nanoparticles," Nanoscale (2009). DOI:10.1039/B9NR00033
CP Wang, HS Chuang, F Sadeghi, and ST Wereley, "Investigation of Fluid Flow out of Microcavities using μPIV," Tribology Transactions, Vol. 52, pp. 817-32 (2009).
ST Wereley and CD Meinhart, "Recent Advances in Micro Particle Image Velocimetry," Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol . 42 (2010).