Assistant Professor Of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- Ph.D., Engineering Sciences, Harvard University, '12
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, '08
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, '07
- Scalable manufacturing: printing and roll-to-roll processes for liquid/elastomer composites ("soft MEMS")
- Soft robotics: soft active materials for actuation, sensing, and power of compliant systems
- Bulk and surface modification of materials for smart interfacial processes
- Reconfigurable/morphing structures
- Sensory-active skins/fabrics for platforms including wearables, injury prevention & rehabilitation, and robotics
Awards and Recognitions
Ten Select Publications
T. Chenal, J. Case, J. Paik, R.K. Kramer. "Variable Stiffness Fabrics with Embedded Shape Memory Materials for Wearable Applications." IEEE Int. Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, Chicago USA, 2014.
J.W. Boley, E.L. White, G.T.C. Chiu, R.K. Kramer. "Direct Writing of Gallium-Indium Alloy for Stretchable Electronics." Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 24, No. 23, pp. 3501-3507, 2014.
R.K. Kramer, J.W. Boley, H.A. Stone, J.C. Weaver, R.J. Wood. "Effect of Microtextured Surface Topography on the Wetting Behavior of Eutectic Gallium-Indium Alloys." Langmuir, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 533-539, 2014.
C. Majidi, R.F. Shepherd, R.K. Kramer, G.M. Whitesides, R.J.Wood. "Influence of Surface Traction on Soft Robot Undulation." International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 32, No. 13, pp. 1577-1584, 2013.
R.K. Kramer, C. Majidi, R.J. Wood. "Masked Deposition of Gallium-Indium Alloys for Liquid-Embedded Elastomer Conductors." Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 23, No. 42, pp. 52925296, 2013.
C. Majidi, R.K. Kramer, R.J. Wood. "Non-Differential Elastomer Curvature Sensor for Softer-than-Skin Electronics." Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 20, No. 10, pp. 105017, 2011.
J.K. Paik, R.K. Kramer, R.J. Wood. "Stretchable Circuits and Sensors for Robotic Origami." IEEE Int. Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, San Francisco USA, 2011.
R.K. Kramer, C. Majidi, R.J. Wood. "Wearable Tactile Keypad with Stretchable Artificial Skin." IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation, Shanghai China, 2010.
Y.L. Park, C. Majidi, R.K. Kramer, P. Berard, and R.J. Wood. "Hyperelastic Pressure Sensing with a Liquid-Embedded Elastomer." Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 20, No. 12, pp. 125029, 2010.
Full list of publications