585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Awards and Recognitions
- AIAA Air Breathing Propulsion Award, 2008
- The AIAA Best Terrestrial Energy Systems Paper, 2008
- GE Aviation Combustor Aero & Mechanical Design Board Chairman, 2007
- Fellow AIAA, 2005.
- Fellow ASME, 2003.
- Edison Award “to annually recognize key technical innovators from each of the” 8 businesses of General Electric including Aircraft Engines, 2003.
- Perry T. Egbert Jr. Award “honors the most outstanding technical achievement in design creativity, advances or product preeminence that are lasting contributions to our engineering knowledge”, 2003.
- Perry T. Egbert Jr. Award Runner-Up Finalist, 2002.
- NASA‟s “Turning Goals into Reality 2000 Objective Award for Exceptional Progress toward Environmental Compatibility: Emissions”.
- AIAA Propellant and Combustion Award, 1997.
- Member GEAE Engineering Design Board, Combustor Aero & Mechanical, 1994.
- ASME/IGTI Combustion and Fuels Committee Best Technical Paper Awards, 1993.
- ASME/IGTI Combustion and Fuels Committee Best Technical Paper Awards, 1992.
- ASME/IGTI Combustion and Fuels Committee Best Technical Paper Awards, 1990.
- “125 Alumni to Watch”, University of Massachusetts 125th Anniversary Celebration, 1988.
Ten Select Publications
Pandalai, R. P., Hsiao, G. C., and Mongia, H. C., 1999, "Empirical and anchored methodologies for controlling combustion dynamics," RTO Meeting Proceedings 14, pp. 5-1 through 5-14.
Mongia, H. C., Held, T. J., Hsiao, G. C., and Pandalai, R. P., 2003. "Challenges and Progress in Controlling Dynamics in Gas Turbine Combustors". J. Propul. Power, 19, pp. 822-829.
Mongia, H.C., Held, T.J., Hsiao, G.C., and Pandalai, R.P., 2005, "Incorporation of combustion instability issues into design process: GE Aeroderivative and Aero Engines Experience," Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Volume 210, ed. T.C. Lieuwen and Vigor Yang, pp. 43-64.
Fu, Yongqiang, Jun Cai, San-Mou Jeng and Hukam Mongia, 2005, "Confinement effects on the swirling flow of a counter-rotating swirl cup," ASME/IGTI GT2005-68622.
Fu, Yongqiang, Jun Cai, San-Mou Jeng and Hukam Mongia, 2005, "Reacting spray structure of a counter-rotating swirl cup," ASME/IGTI GT2005-68490.
ElKady, Ahmed M., San-Mou Jeng and Hukam Mongia, 2005, "The role of the interaction between the primary jets and the recirculation zone of a model gas turbine combustor on pollutant emissions," IMECE2005-82167.
Wang, Shanwu, Vigor Yang, George Hsiao, Shih-Yang Hsieh and Hukam C. Mongia, 2007, "Large Eddy Simulations of gas-turbine swirl injector flow dynamics," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 583, 2007, pp.99-122.
Mongia, Hukam C., 2007, "GE Aviation Low Emissions Combustion Technology Evolution," SAE Paper 07ATC-88.
Dhanuka, Sulabh K., Jacob E. Temme,James F. Driscoll and Hukam C. Mongia, "Vortex-shedding and mixing layer effects on periodic flashback in a lean premixed prevaporized gas turbine combustor," Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32 (2009), pp. 2901-2908.
Mongia, Hukam C., "Commercial Propulsion Engines Emissions," Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, Edited by Richard Blockley and Wei Shyy, 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ISBN: 978-0-470-75440-5.