Fehsenfeld Family Head of EEE, Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Potter Engineering Center, RM 204
500 Central Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2022
Office: POTR 204
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '87
- M.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '82
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, '80
- Environmentally responsible design and manufacturing
- Sustainable systems
- Decision-making for sustainability
- Corporate social responsibility
- Sustainability education
Awards and Recognitions
- Fellow, CIRP – the International Academy for Production Engineering (College International pour la Recherche en Productique), 2011.
- SAE International John Connor Environmental Award, 2010.
- Outstanding Lifetime Service Award from NAMRI/SME, 2010.
- ASME Dedicated Service Award, 2009.
- SME Education Award, 2009.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2006.
- Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), 2005.
- ASME Manufacturing Engineering Division Outstanding Service Award, 2001 and 2004.
- SAE Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1999.
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, 1996.
- National Science Foundation Career Development Award, 1995.
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (SME), 1992
Ten Select Publications
Kumar, V., J. W. Sutherland, "Development and Assessment of Strategies to Ensure Economic Sustainability of the U.S. Automotive Recovery Infrastructure," Resources, Conservation & Recycling, Vol. 53, No. 8, June 2009, pp. 470-477.
Sun, J., C. Ju, D. J. Michalek, and J. W. Sutherland, "Evaporation and Settling Behavior of Metalworking Fluid Aerosols,"Particulate Science and Technology: An International Journal, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2009, pp. 245-262.
Hutchins, M. J., J. S. Gierke, and J. W. Sutherland, "Development of a Framework and Indicators for Societal Sustainability in Support of Manufacturing Enterprise Decisions," Trans. of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 38, 2010, pp. 759-766.
Huang, H., L. Zhang, Z. Liu, and J. W. Sutherland,"Multi-Criteria Decision Making and Uncertainty Analysis for Materials Selection in Environmentally Conscious Design,"Int. J. of Adv. Manuf. Technology, Vol. 52, Nos. 5-8, 2010, pp. 421-432.
Sutherland, J. W., T. L. Jenkins, and K. R. Haapala, "Development of a Cost Model and its Application in Determining Optimal Size of a Diesel Engine Remanufacturing Facility," Annals of CIRP, Vol. 59/1, 2010, pp. 49-52.
Ramani, K., D. Ramanujan, W. Z. Bernstein, F. Zhao, J. Sutherland, C. Handwerker, J-K Choi, H. Kim, and D. Thurston, "Integrated Sustainable Life Cycle Design: A Review," Trans. of ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 132, Issue 9, Sept. 2010.
Zhang F., D. M. Johnson, and J. W. Sutherland, ???A GIS-Based Method for Identifying the Optimal Location for a Facility to Convert Forest Biomass to Biofuel,???Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol 35, No. 9, 2011, pp. 3951-3961.
Jiang, Zhigang, Hua Zhang, John W. Sutherland, ???Development of Multi-criteria Decision Making Model for Remanufacturing Technology Portfolio Selection,??? J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.19, 2011,pp. 1939-1945.
Clarke-Sather, A. R., Hutchins, M. J., Zhang, Q., Gershenson, J. K., and Sutherland, J. W., "Development of Social, Environmental, and Economic Indicators for a Small/Medium Enterprise," Special Issue on "Sustainability, Accounting and Reporting, International Journal of Accounting and Information Management - IJAIM, Vol. 19/3, 2011, pp. 247-266.
Fang, K., N. Uhan, F. Zhao, and J. W. Sutherland, "A New Approach to Scheduling in Manufacturing for Power Consumption and Carbon Footprint Reduction," SME J. of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 30/4, 2011,pp. 234-240; also appeared in Proc. of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 39, June 2011.