Charles M. Krousgrill
150th Anniversary Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3061G
- B.S. Purdue, '75
- M.S. Cal. Tech., '76
- Ph.D. Cal. Tech., '80
- Nonlinear vibration of continuous systems
- Stability analysis
Fundamental Research Area(s)
Awards and Recognitions
- Archie Higdon Distinguished Educator Award, Mechanics Division, American Society of Engineering Education – 2011.
- Special Boilermaker Award, Purdue University – 2010.
- Helping Students Learn, Purdue University – 2009.
- Book of Great Teachers, Purdue University – 1999.
- Ruth and Joel Spira Teaching Service Award, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University – 1998.
- Founding Fellow of the University Teaching Academy, Purdue University – 1997.
- Murphy Undergraduate Teaching Award, Purdue University – 1994.
- A.A. Potter Best Teaching Award, College of Engineering – 1993, 1997, 2001 and 2012.
- H.L. Solberg Best Teacher Award, School of Mechanical Engineering – 1985, 1989, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2007 and 2012.
- Halliburton Education Foundation Teaching Award – 1986.
Kang, J., Krousgrill, C.M. and Sadeghi, F. "Wave Pattern Motion and Stick-slip Limit Cycle Oscillation of a Disc Brake" Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 325, pp. 552-564, 2008.
Kang, J., Krousgrill, C.M. and Sadeghi, F. "Oscillation Pattern of Stick-slip Vibrations" International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, Vol. 44, pp. 820-828, 2008.
Kang, J., Krousgrill, C.M. and Sadeghi, F. "Dynamic instability of a thin circular plate with friction interface and its application to disc brake squeal" Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 316, pp. 164-179, 2008.
Kang, J., Krousgrill, C.M. and Sadeghi, F., "Analytical Formulation of Mode-Coupling Instability in Disc-Pad Coupled System" International Journal of Mechanical Science, Vol. pp. 52-63. 2008.
Kang, J., Krousgrill, C.M., and Sadeghi, F. ,"Comprehensive Stability Analysis of Disc Brake Vibrations including Gyroscopic, Negative Friction Slope and Mode-Coupling Mechanisms" Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 324, pp. 387-407, 2008.
Conley, W.G., Krousgrill C.M. and Raman A, "Stick-slip motions in the friction force microscope: Effects of tip compliance", Tribology Letters, Vol. 29m pp, 23-32, 2008.
Harris D.A. and Krousgrill C.M., "Distance education: New technologies and new directions", Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 96, pp. 917-930, 2008.
Conley, W.G., Raman, A. and Krousgrill, C.M., "Nonlinear and nonplanar dynamics of suspended nanotube and nanowire resonators", Nano Letters, Vol. 8, pp. 1590-1595, 2008.
Huang, J., Krousgrill, C.M. and Bajaj, A.K., "An efficient approach to estimate critical value of friction coefficient and sensitivity analysis for brake squeal", International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 51, pp. 21-38, 2009.
Kang, J. and Krousgrill, C.M., "The onset of friction-induced vibration and spragging", Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 329, pp. 3537-3549, 2010.