Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and Director of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2153, BRK 1270
- B.S. Tsinghua University, '00
- M.S. Tsinghua University, '02
- M.S. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, '06
- Ph.D. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, '07
- Nanoscale heat transfer and energy conversion
- Multiscale multiphysics simulations of nanomaterials for energy applications
- Photovoltaic nanomaterials: simulation, synthesis, and devices
- Thermoelectric nanomaterials: simulation, synthesis and devices
- Nanoscale thermal radiation and nano-photonics
Awards and Recognitions
- College of Engineering Faculty Early Career Research Award, Purdue University, 2016
- ASME Heat Transfer Division Best Paper Award, 2015
- Purdue University Bravo Award, 2014
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (NSF CAREER) Award, 2012
- Seed for Success Award, Purdue University, 2012
- Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow, 2010, 2011, 2013
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Predoctoral Fellowship, 2006
- University of Michigan College of Engineering Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, 2005
- University of Michigan College of Engineering Distinguished Achievement Award, 2005
- Graduate with Honor of Tsinghua University, July 2000
A.K. Vallabhaneni, D. Singh, H. Bao, J.Y. Murthy, and X.L. Ruan, "Reliability of Raman measurements of thermal conductivity of single-layer graphene due to selective electron-phonon coupling", Phys. Rev. B, accepted (2016).
Z.X. Lu, Y. Wang, and X.L. Ruan, "Metal/dielectric thermal interfacial transport considering cross-interface electron-phonon coupling: Theory, two-temperature molecular dynamics, and thermal circuit", Phys. Rev. B 93, 064302 (2016).
T.L. Feng and X.L. Ruan, "Quantum mechanical prediction of four-phonon scattering rates and reduced thermal conductivity of solids", Phys. Rev. B 93, 045202 (2016).
T.L. Feng, B. Qiu, and X.L. Ruan, "Coupling between phonon-phonon and phonon-impurity scattering: A critical revisit of the spectral Matthiessen's rule", Phys. Rev. B 92, 235206 (2015).
K.M. Rickey, Q. Nian, G.Q. Zhang, L.L. Chen, S. Suslov, S.V. Bhat, Y. Wu, G.J. Cheng, and X.L. Ruan, "Welding of Semiconductor Nanowires by Coupling Laser-Induced Peening and Localized Heating", Scientific Reports 5, 16052 (2015).
Y. Wang, H.X. Huang, and X.L. Ruan, "Decomposition of coherent and incoherent phonon conduction in superlattices and random multilayers," Phys. Rev. B 90, 165406 (2014).
A. Sisto, X.L. Ruan, and T.S. Fisher, "Ab initio and Finite Element Predictions of Radiative Properties of Nanostructure Arrays: Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Arrays", J. Heat Transfer 136, 62702 (2014).
Y. Wang, A. Vallabhaneni, J. Hu, B. Qiu, Y. Chen and X.L. Ruan, "Phonon Lateral Confinement Enables Thermal Rectification in Asymmetric Single-Material Nanostructures", Nano Lett. 14, 592 (2014).
B. Qiu and X.L. Ruan, "Reduction of Spectral Phonon Relaxation Times from Suspended to Supported Graphene", Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 193101 (2012).
H. Bao and X.L. Ruan, "Enhanced optical absorption in disordered vertical silicon nanowire arrays for photovoltaic applications," Opt. Lett. 35, 3378-3380 (2010).