Galen B. King
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME G087
- B.S. Wichita State, '76
- M.S. Wichita State, '78
- Ph.D. Kansas State, '83
- Optical and laser-based measurements
- Engineering instrumentation
- Biomedical instrumentation
Awards and Recognitions
- NEC Faculty Fellowship, NEC Corporation, 1989.
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award, "For Outstanding Contributions to the School of Mechanical Engineering and its Students," May, 1990.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Council of Education, Honorable Mention Award in the ASME Curriculum Innovation Awards Program, November, 1990.
- National Research Council (NRC) Summer Faculty Fellowship, Summer 2003, Summer 2004
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Summer Faculty Fellowship, Summer 2005, Summer 2006, Summer 2007
Zhang, J., King, G. B., and Laurendeau N. M., “Characterization of fluctuating hydroxyl concentrations in a turbulent nonpremixed hydrogen-nitrogen jet flame,” Applied Physics B published online October 23 2009.
Noble, Andrew C., Venkatesan, Krishna K., King, Galen B., Laurendeau, Normand M. and Renfro, Michael W., “Singular Spectrum Analysis Applied to Time-Series Measurements in a Self-Excited Tube Combustor,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 25, No. 5, 1148-1151, 2009.
Hu, Wenqian, Shin, Yung, King, Galen, “Modeling of mode pico-second laser ablation for improved material removal rate,” Applied Physics A., Vol. 98, 407-415, 2009.
Joshi, A.A., James, S., Meckl, P., King, G., and Jennings, K, "Assessment of Charge-Air Cooler Health in Diesel Engines using Nonlinear Time Series Analysis of Intake Manifold Temperature," ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 131, No. 4 2009.
Joshi, A.A., Meckl, P.H., King, G.B., and Jennings, K., "Data-dimensionality Reduction Using Information-Theoretic Stepwise Feature Selector," ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 131, No. 4 2009.
Hu, Wenqian, Shin, Yung C., and King, Galen, “Energy transport analysis in ultrashort pulse laser ablation through combined molecular dynamics and Monte Carlo simulation,” Physical Review B Vol. 82, 094111 (2010).
Hu, Wenqian, Shin, Yung C., and King, Galen, “Micromachining of Metals, Alloys, and Ceramics by Picosecond Laser Ablation,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 132 February 2010 11009-1 11009-7.
Hu, Wenqian, Shin, Yung C., and King, Galen, “Modeling of multi-bust mode pico-second laser ablation for improved material removal rate,” Applied Physics A Vol 98 407-415, (2010).
Noble, Andrew C., King, Galen B., Laurendeau, Normand C., Gord, James R., and Roy, Sukesh, “Nonlinear Thermoacustic Instability Dynamics in a Simple Rijke Tube,” accepted for publication in Combustion and Flame.
Bell, Ian, Lemort, Vincent, Groll, Eckhard, Braun, Jim, and King, Galen, “Liquid-Flooded Compression and Expansion in Scroll Machines – Part 1: Model Development,” submitted to International Journal of Refrigeration.