Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- BSME, Michigan State University, '02
- MSME, Michigan State University, '04
- Ph.D, Michigan State University, '07
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Vibration
- Resonant Micro/Nanosystems
- Microscale Sensors and Actuators
Awards and Recognitions
- Ferdinand P. Beer and E. Russell Johnston, Jr. Outstanding New Mechanics Educator Award (Awarded by the ASEE Mechanics Division) (2011)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2009)
- Harry L. Solberg Best Teacher Award (selected by the student body) (2009)
- Finalist for the Mechanical Engineering Division Best Paper Award at the 2007 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition (2007)
- MSU Excellence-in-Teaching Citation (2007)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Graduate Student Award (2005)
- Outstanding Service Award for Undergraduate Design Education (2003)
- Michigan State University Distinguished Academic Achievement Award (2001-2002)
- Dean's List (1999-2002)
- National Dean's List
Ten Select Publications
V. Kumar and J. F. Rhoads. Modeling and Analysis of an Optically-Actuated, Bistable MEMS Device. To appear in the Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics. 2011.
N. J. Patterson, J. F. Rhoads, and S. Kim. The Effects of RFID and EDI Technologies on Supply Chain Dynamics. To appear in the International Journal of Modelling and Simulation. 2011.
M. R. Nelis, L. Yu, W. Zhang, Y. Zhao, C. Yang, A. Raman, S. Mohammadi, and J. F. Rhoads. Sources and Implications of Resonant Mode Splitting in Silicon Nanowire Devices. Nanotechnology. 2011. 22(45): 455502.
A. K. Vallabhaneni, J. F. Rhoads, J. Y. Murthy, and X. Ruan. Observations of Non-classical Scaling Laws in the Quality Factors of Cantilevered Carbon Nanotube Resonators. Journal of Applied Physics. 2011. 110(3): 034312.
V. Kumar, J. K. Miller, and J. F. Rhoads. Nonlinear Parametric Amplication and Attenuation in a Base-Excited Cantilever Beam. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2011. 330(22): p. 5401-5409.
V. Kumar, J. W. Boley, Y. Yang, H. Ekowaluyo, J. K. Miller, G. T.-C. Chiu, and J. F. Rhoads. Bifurcation-Based Mass Sensing Using Piezoelectrically-Actuated Microcantilevers. Applied Physics Letters. 2011. 98(15): 153510.
V. B. Chivukula and J. F. Rhoads. Microelectromechanical Bandpass Filters Based on Cyclic Coupling Architectures. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2010. 329(20): p. 4313-4332.
J. F. Rhoads and S. W. Shaw. The Impact of Nonlinearity on Degenerate Parametric Amplifiers. Applied Physics Letters. 2010. 96(23): 234101. [Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology. 2010. 21(25).]
J. F. Rhoads, S. W. Shaw, and K. L. Turner. Nonlinear Dynamics and Its Applications in Micro- and Nanoresonators. Journal of Dynamical Systems, Measurement and Control. 2010. 132(3): 034001.
J. F. Rhoads, N. J. Miller, S. W. Shaw, and B. F. Feeny. Mechanical Domain Parametric Amplication. Journal of Vibration and Acoustics. 2008. 130(6): 061006.