Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.Eng. Beijing Univ. of Aeronautics & Astronautics, '87
- M.Eng. Nanyang Technological University, '92
- Ph.D. California-Berkeley, '96
- Adaptive and robust control
- Nonlinear control
- Precision control of mechanical systems
- Vehicle control
Awards and Recognitions
- Changjiang Chair Professorship Award, Ministry of Education of P.R. China and Li Ka-Shing Foundation, 2010
- Outstanding Young Investigator Award, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division (DSCD), 2007
- Joint Research Fund for Overseas Chinese Young Scholars, Outstanding Young Investigator Fund, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 2005
- O. Hugo Schuck Best Paper (Theory) Award, American Automatic Control Council, 2004
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 1998
- Caterpillar Engineering Young Faculty Development Award, Caterpillar Inc., 1997
- Regents Fellowship, University of California at Berkeley, 1992-93
- Research Scholarship, Nanyang Technology University, 1991-92
- Honor of Excellence for Graduate Study, BUAA, 1989
- Scholarships, BUAA, 1983-1986.
- First Prize Winner, BUAA Advanced Mathematics competition, 1985
Ten Select Publications
S.K. Cho*, H.Z. Jin, J. M. Lee, and B. Yao, "Tele-operation of a mobile robot using a force reflection joystick with sensing mechanism of rotating magnetic field," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.1, pp.17-26, 2010.
C. Hu*, B. Yao*, and Q. Wang, "Integrated direct/indirect adaptive robust contouring control of a biaxial gantry with accurate parameter estimations," Automatica, Vol.46, No.4, pp.701-707, 2010.
C. Hu*, B. Yao*, and Q. Wang, "Coordinated adaptive robust contouring control of an industrial biaxial precision gantry with cogging force compensations," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol.57, No.5, pp.1746-1754, 2010.
C. Hu*, B. Yao*, and Q. Wang, "Coordinated adaptive robust contouring controller design for an industrial biaxial precision gantry," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.5, pp.728-735, 2010.
V. Agrawal*, W.J. Peine, and Bin Yao*, "Modeling of transmission characteristics across a cable-conduit system," the IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 26, No.5, pp.914 - 924, 2010.
L. Lu*, B. Yao*, "Adaptive robust control of a class of nonlinear systems in semi-strict feedback form with non-uniformly detectable unmeasured internal states," International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, 2010 (in press and published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/acs.1177).
A. Mohanty* and B. Yao*, "Integrated direct/indirect adaptive robust control of hydraulic manipulators with valve deadband," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2011 (in press and available on line with Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/TMECH.2010.2051037).
A. Mohanty* and B. Yao*, "Indirect adaptive robust control of hydraulic manipulators with accurate parameter estimates," IEEE Transaction on Control Systems Technology, 2011 (in press and available on line with Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/TCST.2010.2048569).
B. Yao, C. Hu, and Q. Wang, "Adaptive robust precision motion control of a high-speed industrial gantry with cogging force compensations," the IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 2010 (in press).
C. Hu*, B. Yao*, and Q. Wang, "Adaptive robust precision motion control of systems with unknown input dead-zones: a case study with comparative experiments," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2011 (in press and available on line with Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TIE.2010.2066535).