Douglas E. Adams
Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
- B.S. University of Cincinnati, '94
- M.S. MIT, '97
- Ph.D. University of Cincinnati, '00
- Nonlinear structural dynamics and vibration
- Structural diagnostics/health monitoring and prognostics
- Applications in aerospace and automotive systems
- Applications in energy systems including wind turbines and batteries
- Noise and vibration control
Awards and Recognitions
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), 2002
- Army Young Investigator Award, 2001
- DeMichele Award, 2009
- ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division Outstanding Young Investigator Award, 2009
- Structural Health Monitoring Person of the Year Award (Sage Publications), 2003
- Named one of the most cited authors in Journal of Sound and Vibration, Elsevier, 2006
- Commander's Award, U.S. Navy Air Warfare Center, 2010
- Technical Medal of Achievement, U.S. Army Stryker Combat Brigade, 2006
- University Faculty Scholar, Purdue University, 2007
- Shaeffer Fellow of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2009
Mahulkar*, V., and Adams*, D. E., “Derivative Free Filtering in Hydraulic Systems for Fault Identification”, 2010, Control Engineering Practice, accepted for publication (1st Tier).
Adams*, D. E., White*, J., Rumsey, M., and Farrar, C., “Structural Health Monitoring of Wind Turbines: Method and Application to a HAWT”, 2010, Wind Energy, accepted for publication (1st Tier).
McKay*, S., Chaturvedi*, A., and Adams*, D., E., “A Process for Anticipating and Shaping Adversarial Behavior,” 2010, Naval Research Logistics Journal, accepted for publication (1st Tier).
Budde*, C., Adams*, D. E., and Meckl, P., “Impact Detection for a Fiberglass Composite Rotor Blade”, 2010, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, accepted for publication (1st Tier).
Yang*, C., and Adams*, D. E., “Predicting Changes in Vibration Behavior With Respect to Multiple Variables Using Empirical Sensitivity Functions”, 2010, American Society of Mechanical Engineering Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 132(6) (1st Tier).
Yoder*, N. and Adams*, D. E., “Vibro-Acoustic Modulation Utilizing a Swept Probing Signal for Robust Crack Detection,” (invited paper) 2010, Structural Health Monitoring: An International Journal, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 257-267 (1st Tier).
McKay*, S., Mahulkar*, V., and Adams*, D., E., “A Process to Comprehend Critical System-of-systems Factors: Applied to Wireless Technology Design on a Navy Ship,” 2009, International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, accepted for publication (1st Tier).
Lopez*, J., Adams*, D. E., Gomez, J., and Gul, K., “Identification of Damaged Shafts Using Active Sensing – Simulation and Experimentation”, 2009, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 327, No. 3-5, pp. 368-390 (1st Tier).
White*, J., and Adams*, D. E., “Vibration-Based Structural Damage Identification using Active Sensing to Measure Internal Forces that Represent Damage in a Honeycomb Panel”, 2009, Journal of Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management, in print (1st Tier).
White*, J., Adams*, D. E., and Jata, K., “Structural Health Monitoring of a Metallic Sandwich Panel by the Method of Virtual Forces”, 2009, Structural Health Monitoring: An International Journal, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 537-553 (1st Tier).