Eckhard A. Groll
William E. and Florence E. Perry Head of Mechanical Engineering, and Reilly Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2007A, HLAB 2032
- 02/94 "Doktor-Ingenieur" (Doctor of Engineering) in Mechanical Engineering, University of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
- 11/89 "Diplom-Ingenieur" (Diploma of Engineering) in Mechanical Engineering, Ruhr-University of Bochum, Bochum, Germany
- 10/86 "Diplom-Vorprüfung" (Pre-Diploma of Engineering) in Mechanical Engineering, Ruhr-University of Bochum, Bochum, Germany
- Thermal sciences as applied to HVAC&R systems and equipment
Awards and Recognitions
- 2019 Best Student Paper Award (with PhD student Xinye Zhang), 11th Int'l Conf. on Compressors and their Systems, City University London, UK, September 9-11, 2019.
- 2018 Silver Anniversary Needle for 25-Year Membership in the German Society of Refrigeration and Climate Technology (DKV)
- 2018 Inductee Cooperative Education Hall of Fame at Purdue University
- 2018 J&E Hall International Gold Medal of Refrigeration, Institute of Refrigeration, UK
- 2017 Shortlisted for Best Technical Paper, 10th International Conf. on Compressors and their Systems, City University of London, UK, Sept. 11-13.
- 2017 Peter Ritter von Rittinger International Heat Pump Award, IEA Heat Pump Centre.
- 2016 Honorary Faculty Member, Barbara Cook Chapter of Mortar Board at Purdue (National College Senior Honor Society)
- 2015 Top 10 HVAC Heating Professors, as named by HVACClasses.org, owned and operated by Sechel Ventures
- 2014-2017 Distinguished Overseas Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
- 2014 Inductee into Purdue Innovator Hall of Fame
- 2014 DAAD Alumni Award (German Academic Exchange Service)
- 2014 ASHRAE Exceptional Service Award
- 2013 Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award, School of Mech. Eng., Purdue University
- 2013 Global Impact Award, College of Engineering, Purdue University
- 2011 Purdue University Research Acorn Award
- 2011 ASHRAE Distinguished Lecturer
- 2010-2011 ACE Fellow (American Council on Education)
- 2010 E. K. Campbell Award from ASHRAE in recognition of outstanding service and achievement in teaching and research in subjects relating to the industry and professions represented by ASHRAE.
- 2009-10 CIC-ALP Fellow (Committee on Institutional Collaboration ??? Academic Leadership Program)
- 2009 Faculty Advising Excellence Award, College of Engineering, Purdue University
- 2008 Inductee into Book of Great Teachers, Purdue University
- 2007 Ruth and Joel Spira Award for outstanding contributions to the School of Mechanical Engineering for inspiring students and fostering excellence in commercial or defense product realization.
- 2007 Purdue University Faculty Scholar Award
- 2006 ASHRAE Fellow
- 2005 Fellow of Purdue's Teaching Academy
- 2005 Wilbur T. Pentzer Achievement and Leadership Award for outstanding contributions to the growth and well-being of the International Institute of Refrigeration (IIR) and the U.S. National Committee of the IIR.
- 2005 Charles B. Murphy Award for outstanding undergraduate teaching for meritorious and effective performance in the instruction of undergraduate students at Purdue University
Bahman, A.M., Ziviani, D., and Groll, E.A.,"Vapor injected compression with economizing in packaged air conditioning systems for high temperature climate," Int'l J. Refrigeration, 94 (2018) 136-150; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2018.07.024.
Ziviani, D., James, N.A., Accorsi, F.A., Braun, J.E., and Groll, E.A., "Experimental and Numerical Analyses of a 5 kWe Oil-Free Open-Drive Scroll Expander for Small-Scale ORC Applications," J. Applied Energy, Vol. 230 (2018), 1140-1156; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.09.025.
James, N.A., Braun, J.E., and Groll, E.A., "The chemical looping heat pump: Thermodynamic modeling," Int'l J. Refrigeration, 98 (2019) 302-310, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2018.11.005.
Bell, I.H., Ziviani, D., Lemort, V., Bradshaw, C.R., Mathison, M.M., Horton, W.T., Braun, J.E., and Groll, E.A., "PDSim: A general quasi-steady modeling approach for positive displacement compressors and expanders," Int'l J. Refrigeration, Available online Sept. 9, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2019.09.002.
Zhang, X., Ziviani, D., Braun, J.E., and Groll, E.A., "Theoretical Analysis of Dynamic Characteristics in Linear Compressors," Int'l J. Refrigeration, Available Online October 4, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2019.09.015.
Ziviani, D., Bell, I.H., Zhang, X., Lemort, V., De Paepe, M., Braun, J.E., and Groll, E.A., "Demonstrating the capabilities of an open-source simulation framework for positive displacement compressors and expanders," Int'l J. Refrigeration, Available Online October 19, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2019.10.015.
Zhang, X., Ziviani, D., Braun, J.E., Groll, E.A., "Numerical Analysis of Gas Bearings in Oil-free Linear Compressors". Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, published under license by IOP Publishing Ltd, 2019. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/604/1/011008.
Barta, R.B., Ziviani, D., Groll, E.A., "Experimental analyses of different control strategies of an R-410A split-system heat pump by employing a turbomachinery expansion recovery device," Int'l J. Refrigeration, Available Online December 28, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2019.12.027.
Woodland, B.J., Ziviani, D., Braun, J.E., Groll, E.A., "Considerations on Alternative Organic Rankine Cycle Configurations for Low-Grade Waste Heat Recovery," J. Energy, Available Online December 28, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.116810.
Liu, F., Qiu, W., Deng, J., Mo, Q., Groll, E.A., Zhao, J., and Liang, J., "Multi-objective non-simultaneous dynamic optimal control for an ejector expansion heat pump with thermal storages," Applied Thermal Engineering, 168 (2020) 114835; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.114835.