Ivan C. Christov
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2197
- Ph.D., Northwestern University, '11
- M.S., Northwestern University, '08
- M.S., Texas A&M University, '07
- S.B., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, '05
- Fluid mechanics
- Nonlinear dynamics and chaos
- Granular flow
- Complex fluids, including particulate and multiphase flows
- Microfluidics, including fluid--structure interactions
- Wave phenomena in continuum mechanics
- Applied mathematics and scientific computing
Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding Referee, American Physical Society, 2020
- Richard P. Feynman Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship in Theory and Computing at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2013
- NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Princeton University, 2011
- Walter P. Murphy Fellowship at Northwestern University, 2007
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program Fellowship at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Stennis Space Center, 2007
- Regents Fellowship at Texas A&M University, 2005
Xiaojia Wang and Ivan C. Christov, "Theory of the flow-induced deformation of shallow compliant microchannels with thick walls," Proceedings of the Royal Society A 475 (2019) 20190513, doi:10.1098/rspa.2019.0513; e-print arXiv:1908.03556.
Federico Municchi, Pranay P. Nagrani and Ivan C. Christov, "A two-fluid model for numerical simulation of shear-dominated suspension flows" International Journal of Multiphase Flow 120 (2019) 103079, doi:10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2019.07.015; e-print arXiv:1811.06972.
Ivan C. Christov, Robert J. Decker, A. Demirkaya, Vakhid A. Gani, P. G. Kevrekidis, Avinash Khare and Avadh Saxena,, "Kink-Kink and Kink-Antikink Interactions with Long-Range Tails," Physical Review Letters 122 (2019) 171601, doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.122.171601; e-print arXiv:1811.07872.
Mengying Wang and Ivan C. Christov, "Cutting and shuffling with diffusion: Cut-offs in interval exchange maps," Physical Review E 98 (2018) 022221, doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.98.022221; e-print arXiv:1804.01448.
Tanmay C. Shidhore and Ivan C. Christov, "Static response of deformable microchannels: a comparative modelling study," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 30 (2018) 054002, doi:10.1088/1361-648X/aaa226; e-print arXiv:1709.03002.
Ivan C. Christov, "Nonlinear waves in electromigration dispersion in a capillary," Wave Motion 71 (2017) 42-52, doi:10.1016/j.wavemoti.2016.06.011; e-print arXiv:1603.08277.
Ivan C. Christov, "On a difficulty in the formulation of initial and boundary conditions for eigenfunction expansion solutions for the start-up of fluid flow," Mechanics Research Communications 51 (2013) 86-92, doi:10.1016/j.mechrescom.2013.05.005; e-print arXiv:1305.5999.
Ivan C. Christov and Howard A. Stone, "Resolving a paradox of anomalous scalings in the diffusion of granular materials," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 109 (2012) 16012-16017, doi:10.1073/pnas.1211110109.
Ivan C. Christov, Julio M. Ottino and Richard M. Lueptow, "From streamline jumping to strange eigenmodes: Bridging the Lagrangian and Eulerian pictures of the kinematics of mixing in granular flows," Physics of Fluids 23 (2011) 103302, doi:10.1063/1.3653280.
Ivan Christov and Bojan Popov, "New non-oscillatory central schemes on unstructured triangulations for hyperbolic systems of conservation laws," Journal of Computational Physics 227 (2008) 5736-5757, doi:10.1016/j.jcp.2008.02.007.