Terrence R. Meyer
Professor of Mechanical Engineering; Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics (by Courtesy)
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3003A
- BME, University of Minnesota at Minneapolis-St. Paul, 1993
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- Laser spectroscopy and imaging for combustion, sprays, energetics, hypersonics, plasmas, and non-equilibrium flows
- Applications to gas-turbine, rocket, internal combustion, and scramjet engine performance, efficiency, and emissions
- Thermal-fluid behavior at the extremes, including turbulent, high-temperature, high-pressure, multiphase, and non-equilibrium reacting flows
Awards and Recognitions
- Editor’s Pick in Applied Optics (2019) and Optics Letters (2019, 2020)
- Purdue University list of Outstanding Engineering Teachers in 2016, 2018, 2019, and 2020
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2017
- Chair (2019-2021), Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Energy and Combustion Science (formerly Laser Diagnostics in Combustion)
- Co-Chair, International Constant Volume and Detonation Combustion Workshop, 2019
- Technical Chair (2018-2019), Aerodynamic Measurement Technology (AMT) Committee, AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition
- Guest Professor, Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT), 2010-2020
- NSF CAREER Award, Combustion, Fire, and Plasma Systems, 2011-2015
- Best Presentation, 26th Annual Institute for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (ILASS)-Americas Conference, 2014
- William and Virginia Binger Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, 2011-2012
- Best Paper, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing, 2011
- General Co-Chair, 2010-2012, and Program Co-Chair, 2008-2010, Optical Society of America's Conference on Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis
- Chair, 2009-2010, and Vice-Chair, 2008-2009, Optical Society of America's Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Subcommittee on Active Optical Sensing
- Co-editor, Applied Optics Special Issue, Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis, 2011.
- Sub-committee Chair for Award Nominations, Aerodynamic Measurement Technology Technical Committee, AIAA, 2009-2015
- Gordon Research Conference on Laser Diagnostics in Combustion, Invited Lectures in 2007 and 2011, and Hot Topics Invited Talks in 2005 and 2009
- Cover feature for Applied Optics, 2003, Applied Spectroscopy, 2007, and Applied Optics, 2009
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2006
- Chair, Ohio Valley Section of the Society for Applied Spectroscopy, 2005-2006
- AIAA Dayton-Cincinnati Section Outstanding Technical Contribution Award, 2003
- AIAA Foundation Graduate Award in Fluid Dynamics (PhD dissertation), 2001
- Graduate Fellowships: Ford Foundation, 2000, NSF, 1994-1997, University of Illinois Foundation, 1994-1997
M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, and S. Roy, "Advances in burst-mode laser diagnostics for reacting and nonreacting flows," Proc. Combust. Inst. 38(1), 1533-1560, 2021; doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2020.07.024.
E.R. Westphal, A.D. Brown, E.C. Quintana, A.L. Kastengren, S.F. Son, T.R. Meyer, and K.N.G. Hoffmeister, "Temperature-dependent X-ray fluorescent response from thermographic phosphors under X-ray excitation," Appl. Phys. Lett. 119(3), 2021; doi.org/10.1063/5.0053469.
V. Athmanathan, K.A. Rahman, D. Lauriola, J. Braun, G. Paniagua, M.N. Slipchenko, S. Roy, and T.R. Meyer, "Femtosecond/picosecond rotational coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering thermometry in the exhaust of a rotating detonation combustor," Combust. Flame 231, 111504, 2021; doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2021.111504.
N. Rahman, B. R. Halls, K. E. Matusik, T. R. Meyer, and A. L. Kastengren, "Evaluation of liquid-phase thermometry in impinging jet sprays using synchrotron x-ray scattering," Appl. Opt. 60(11), 2967-2973, 2021; doi.org/10.1364/AO.417796.
D.K. Lauriola, K.A. Rahman, H.U. Stauffer, M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, and S. Roy, "Concentration and pressure scaling of CH2O electronic-resonance-enhanced coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering signals," Appl. Opt. 60(4), 1051-1058, 2021; doi.org/10.1364/AO.415496.
B.R. Halls, N. Rahman, K.E. Matusik, T.R. Meyer, and A.L. Kastengren, "Feasibility of X-ray scattering for tracer-free liquid-phase thermometry for multiphase flows," Fuel 290, 120040, 2021; doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2020.120040.
J.M. Fisher, B.C. Chynoweth, M.E. Smyser, A.M. Webb, M.N. Slipchenko, J.S. Jewell, T.R. Meyer, and S.J. Beresh, "Femtosecond laser electronic excitation tagging velocimetry in a Mach six quiet tunnel," AIAA J. 59(2), 768-772, 2021; doi.org/10.2514/1.J059879.
D.N. Collard, M.S. McClain, N.A. Rahman, N.H. Dorcy, T.R. Meyer, and S.F. Son , "Dynamic x-ray imaging of additively manufactured reactive components in solid propellants," J. Propul. Power 37(3), 2021; doi.org/10.2514/1.B38128.
R. Yokoo, K. Goto, J. Kasahara, V. Athmanathan, J. Braun, G. Paniagua, T. Meyer, A. Kawasaki, K. Matsuoka, A. Matsuo, and I. Funaki, "Experimental study of internal flow structures in cylindrical rotating detonation engines," Proc. Combust. Inst. 38(3), 3759-3768, 2021; doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2020.08.001.
J.D. Miller, J.W. Tröger, S.R. Engel, T. Seeger, A. Leipertz, and T.R. Meyer, "CH and NO planar laser-induced fluorescence and Rayleigh-scattering in turbulent flames using multimode optical parametric oscillation," Appl. Opt. 60(1), 98-108, 2021; doi.org/10.1364/AO.406237.